LAB ASSISTANT TECHNICIAN
TEMPORARY PART TIME
8 Hour Shifts; Days, Evenings, Nights, Weekend Schedule (Subject to change)
LAKERIDGE HEALTH AJAX/PICKERING
This position is open to all qualified OPSEU staff throughout Lakeridge Health commencing September 19, 2019 and closing by 11:59 p.m. on September 26, 2019.
Under the direction of the MLA Team Lead, Charge Technologist(s), Senior Technologist(s) or Manager, responsibilities include: blood sample collections from adults, children and neonates, following proper procedures as outlined in the laboratory manual; performing ECG's; ensuring quality control, maintenance and troubleshooting of urinalysis and other laboratory instrumentation; receiving and preparing specimens for analysis; preparing specimens for send-out to reference laboratories; booking appointments and receiving registering patients; urinalysis testing; ensuring the cleanliness of equipment in the immediate work area; participating in the student training program, as required; immediately reporting any unusual incidents involving patients which occur in the performance of duties; following established safety and infection control procedures; and performing other related duties as required.
- Medical Laboratory Assistant certificate from a recognized training facility (in good standing);
- OSMT and/or CSMLS Laboratory Assistant certification required;
- Recent experience in a central receiving role and the procedures involved in this area is required;(ie. specimen receiving, referral procedures, experience with clinical trials protocols, ECG procurement;
- Proven previous Laboratory Assistant, phlebotomy and ECG experience in a hospital or medical laboratory setting;
- Proven effective organizational, prioritization and time-management abilities;
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills;
- Proven strong team player abilities with the proficiencies to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Knowledge of infection control principles and practices;
- Physically able to perform duties of lifting, bending, sitting and prolonged standing and walking;
- Ability to work in a high paced environment with frequent interruptions;
- Proven knowledge of Microsoft computer programs/keyboarding experience;
- Experience with pneumatic tube transport systems, an asset;
- Current Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Certification, preferred;
- Must have a satisfactory performance record;
- Demonstrated commitment to our core values of Inclusion, Compassion, Innovation, Teamwork and Joy;
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to Lakeridge Health's comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff safety, patient safety, environmental safety and participation in regular in service education sessions in this area; and
- Proven good attendance record with capability of maintaining this same standard.
$26.37 - $30.40 per hour
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This position is open to all qualified OPSEU staff throughout Lakeridge Health.
The terms and conditions of employment are in accordance with the Collective Agreement between the Hospital and OPSEU Local 348.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the recruitment and assessment process as required under Lakeridge Health's Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.