Job Title: Warehouse Supervisor
Division: Bailey Metal Products Limited – Calgary
Reports to: Plant Manager
The Warehouse Manager is responsible for the direct management and handling of all warehousing and distribution functions. This includes accountability for inbound/outbound and effective storage of freight, as well as adherence to legislative, safety, and organizational policies and procedures. The incumbent will accomplish effective logistical oversight through strong leadership and decision-making abilities.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The responsibilities and accountabilities of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage the reception, handling, distribution, and storage of all freight, product, and supplies that come in and out of the warehouse.
- Ensure all production orders are shipped to customers in a timely manner in adherence to delivery schedules.
- Communicate all delays or variances in inbound/outbound freight to the appropriate parties.
- Report inventory levels in order to meet internal and external demand of product.
- Plan warehouse layout and space requirements in order to prevent loss or damage, and to achieve full warehouse optimization.
- Take into account full implications of freight turnover, size, weight, and other factors when allocating warehouse space.
- Develop and/or enforce corporate policies regarding security and safety in order to maintain a safe working environment.
- Maintain appropriate and complete documentation regarding regulated products and/or hazardous materials.
- Conduct regular spot-checks of inventory levels, supplies, or equipment.
- Assess the need for, and assist in the purchase of, moving equipment like trailers, forklifts, crash pads, dollies, and so on.
- Identify discrepancies between inventory records and take action.
- Investigate causes of lost or damaged shipments and other matters; make adjustments where necessary.
- Assess the need for facility improvements, repairs and design.
- Develop an internal structure within the department; develop, coach, mentor, employees.
- Review all work performed by employees for completion, accuracy and quality and identify their performance requirements and Company training needs.
- Assist in the development of succession planning for replacement of key employees.
- Train workers on job duties, safety procedures and Company policies.
- Promote team work within and across the departments.
- Conduct and document regular monthly crew meetings to discuss, review and implement items such as new/existing procedures, Company policies, department performance, safety talks, Health and Safety, and monthly management meeting.
- Participate in selection process, performance appraisals, discipline and training and recommend actions such as hiring, promotions, appropriate disciplinary actions and resolve grievances with the assistance of Corporate HR.
Health and Safety:
- Maintain working knowledge of all Health & Safety policies and legislation.
- Correct and communicate on any unsafe acts/conditions to the Plant Manager.
- Support and promote all aspects of the Corporate Health & Safety program.
- Perform regular workplace inspections, both scheduled and unscheduled.
- Monitor accident frequency and history and analyze injury data.
- Report all accidents/incidents promptly, conduct investigation & act on recommendations.
- Comply with all Bailey’s safety programs, confidentiality and legal requirements.
- Maintain a high standard of professional knowledge, ethics and practices when dealing with customers, suppliers, peers, subordinates, supervisors and other key stakeholders of the company.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner that reflects integrity and respect towards customers, suppliers, peers, subordinates, supervisors and other key stakeholders of the company.
- Participate in the company’s quarterly inventory count.
- Other responsibilities and accountabilities as assigned by the Plant Manager.
Requirements and Qualifications
- 5-7 years of dispatching experience in a manufacturing environment is preferred.
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience in forklift (counter balance) operation warehouse experience is an asset.
- Knowledgeable in operation of equipment i.e. strapping machine, chop saw, two-way radio, etc.
- Able to physically lift material up to 50 pounds.
- Sound knowledge of Bailey’s products, lift configuration, size, weight and stacking height.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office – Word Excel, Outlook and SAP
- Excellent communication skills and proficiency in the English language (reading and writing).
- Quick learner, team player, ethical, open-minded and capable of meeting deadlines.
- Fast-paced plant and warehouse environment, P.P.E. required.
- Overtime as required.
- Rotating shift schedule in accordance with business demands as required.
Job Type: Full-time
- Manufacturing: 5 years (Preferred)