We are a small, growing specialty finance company looking to transition our customer experience and to enhance our credit scorecard and adjudication process. We are seeking a motivated and experienced Credit and Underwriter Manager to lead our credit team.
This is a hands on position ideal for someone looking to grow with the company and drive results and be rewarded accordingly. This position requires a strong independent work ethic, critical thinking and analytic skills to accurately and successfully assimilate information. You must also have great attention to detail and strong communication skills to effectively disseminate that same information to the benefit of the business objectives.
You will report to the President and will be responsible for the on-going development and execution of risk management and credit underwriting practices. Ultimately, you will be exposed to challenging work with the ability to make a lasting impact that ultimately drives our insights and business solutions.
The Credit and Underwriting Manager executes the day to day credit processes related to the investigation of credit-worthiness, assessment of risk, customer approval and timely set up of new vehicle and equipment loans and leases.
This position requires interaction with the sales team, potential customers, accounting and administrative staff. The Credit and Underwriting Manger will be responsible for providing courteous and efficient support to internal and external partners that support our credit objectives. This includes:
· Prepare and thoroughly analyze credit applications from current and prospective customers
· Diligently gather all required information and accurately prepare documentation that adheres to company policies and procedures to ensure a complete credit file for processing
· Conduct research, financial and statistical analysis to determine and support the clients' creditworthiness while minimizing risk exposure.
· Provide recommendations or justification for a credit decision (approve/decline) within company approval guidelines efficiently and with accuracy
· Maintain effective communication with sales and operational teams, balancing risk and reward of opportunities.
· Manage, train and support the financial administrators and analysists that report to you ensuring staff quality, performance and motivation
· Ensure information, support and training align with credit and risk management policies to achieve and cultivate sound risk awareness
· Conduct analyses to determine causes and cures for delinquency
· Understanding of the impact of market changes and remain knowledgeable of relevant industry issues
· Assist in the development and provision of a cohesive and comprehensive approach to risk ratings, risk assessment, portfolio performance and clients
· Assist in corporate planning, scorecard development and policy through modelling and underwriting analysis
· Supervise and contribute to the collection, organization and analysis of company statistics and general data to ensure all relevant information has been captured
· Analyze business metrics and logic to provide suggestions for ongoing improvements that contribute to establishing an online/automated scorecard and underwriting solution
· Support and managing credit exposure to company thresholds and industry limits
· Assist in the development and maintenance of statistical models using statistical packages (i.e. SAS) to meet the needs of the analysis and to prepare reports for improvements to efficiency and policy
· Utilize data to develop analytical models that allow a greater understanding of the costs, benefits, risks and opportunities inherent in our financing products
The ideal candidate comes from a lending environment and knows loan and lease agreements as well as the risks and consequences of defaulting on commercial loan agreements. As an asset based lender you understand the difference between secured and unsecured lending and what risk issues are relevant when reviewing the financial statements of applicants. The successful candidate will have the following skills:
· Sound business acumen gained from hands-on experience with a post-secondary degree or diploma in business, finance or a related field
· Five years of lending experience within commercial financial services dedicated to trucks, trailers and heavy equipment
· Sound knowledge of credit scores reported on both consumer and commercial credit bureaus
· Experience developing and/or refining commercial credit policy, underwriting standards and scorecards
· Strong credit analytical skills, including solid understanding of internal credit policies and underwriting
· Meticulous attention to detail to ensuring accuracy and completeness of credit files and a demonstrable ability for high level confidentiality and integrity
· Well versed in the identification of risk for lease and loan assessment including an excellent understanding of accounting principles, financial statement, cash flow and financial ratio analysis
· A self-motivated mindset, with demonstrated problem solving and troubleshooting skills
· Ability to work independently while supporting team members and company objectives and taking ownership of deliverables
· Possess superior communication and presentation skills (written and verbal)
· Willing to ask appropriate questions in order to clarify and resolve issues
· Ability to maintain professionalism while managing conflict, and ability to build effective relationships with various internal and external stakeholders
· A strong knowledge of MS Office applications, including Word, Excel and Outlook
· Knowledge of statistical data models and methodologies (analysis and interpretation) including proficiency in statistical analysis software such as SAS is considered a benefit
If you are not the right for this role but you know someone who is, please share with your network!
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $50,000.00-$60,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Employees have individual work stations and offices, Hepa filters in place in each office, employees wear masks when interacting with each other and all surfaces are sanitized daily.
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- commercial credit analysis: 1 year (preferred)
- Underwriting: 1 year (required)