Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Sports & Recreation Services is one of the most diverse units on campus combining varsity Athletics, Recreation activities and Facilities operations into one unit working to contribute to the universities goals and objectives of offering the best student experience. Sport and Recreation Services offers a wide variety of services and experiences for Western students and faculty, alumni, the London community, and other stakeholder groups.
The Convenor will be responsible for all aspects of a specific intramural sport league including tournaments and special events. This may include, but not restricted to scheduling, updating/maintaining participant and team records, preparing suspension and term end reports, responding to inquiries, updating IMS Social media, reporting any equipment needs and ensuring the safety of playing surface. The incumbent will be responsible for training, developing, scheduling, supervising and evaluating all officials for the specific league. The Convenor will work in cooperation with the Intramural Coordinator, IMS Team Leader and the other IMS Convenors.
- Current First Aid & CPR certification or must be obtained upon hire
- Must be committed to work up to 20 hours per week
- Current full time student at Western (enrolled in minimum 3.5 courses), and expect to retain full-time student status for the duration of this appointment is preferred
Skills, Abilities & Expertise:
- Prior experience or training in the sport expected to officiate is preferred
Description (addition to standard job description):
- Strong verbal communication skills with the ability to deliver information in a clear and positive manner
- Ability to maintain a positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Basic computer skills with the ability to learn and use software programs
- Ability to follow formal business practices with high attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and maintain an organized and effective personal work environment
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, students and the public
- Demonstrated ability to understand and resolve issues
- Familiarity with sport being supervised.
- Self-motivated, punctual, and responsible
- Familiarity with Campus Recreation's programs, services, and facilities
- Ability to work within a flexible schedule to accommodate the events with the consistent ability to work assigned shifts is paramount
Applicant Interviews: Wednesday, March 11th, 2020 until Friday, March 20th, 2020 & Mandatory Availability: Fall/Winter staff training: Tuesday, September 8th, 2020 (inclusive) & Sports (or combination) available for convening: SOCCER & 7-ON-7 SOCCER & BADMINTON, VOLLEYBALL & QUIDDITCH & SPIKEBALL, ICE HOCKEY, FLAG FOOTBALL & BALL HOCKEY & FLAG RUGBY 7s, DODGEBALL & INNER-TUBE WATER POLO & ULTIMATE FRISBEE, BASKETBALL, FUTSAL & EUROPEAN HANDBALL & SLO-PITCH & 3-PITCH SOFTBALL
Western offers a broad and exciting variety of part-time and temporary employment opportunities with ample room for job exploration and growth. Within our beautiful campus, you are part of a progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance including access to our state-of-the-art recreation centre. Apply for an opportunity to be part of the Western community and contribute to its success!
Applying at Western
To ensure that your application is given full consideration, please complete all relevant sections of the application. In addition, you can choose to supplement your application with a cover letter and current resume.
Consideration of applicants will include an assessment of previous performance, experience, and qualifications. Applicants should have oral communication skills in English.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.