Animal Protection Officer
Vernon and surrounding area;
September 2, 2019 (midnight EDT)
Submit resume and cover letter together as one document to complete your application. Please indicate your preferred location in your cover letter.
The BC SPCA is currently seeking a casual on-call Animal Protection Officers (APO). These positions involve investigating allegations of cruelty to animals, enforcing animal cruelty legislation, and treating animals humanely, with compassion and concern. As an APO you will be expected to act as a Special Provincial Constable as defined in the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act and carry out the full range of duties of an APO relating to all Federal and Provincial laws relevant to animals. The successful candidate must be approved by the Ministry of the Attorney General for appointment as a Special Provincial Constable under the Police Act.
These positions will protect the welfare of all animals, the safety of the public and enforce all federal and provincial laws and regulations. You will ensure that all complaints are properly and promptly investigated and that all actions taken are recorded in sufficient detail. You will carry out cruelty investigations in an objective, effective and diplomatic manner.
You will respond to calls of both an emergency and non-emergency nature in an effective, efficient and caring manner. You will respond to situations using your knowledge of animal behaviour, animal handling techniques and proper use of rescue equipment. You will also ensure all requested reports, including statistical reports, are submitted on time to the Regional Manager, Cruelty Investigations.
You are able to work with a wide variety of people, remain calm and professional in tense situations, and are passionate about animal welfare. You are an excellent communicator and have experience in conflict resolution.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required to be successful in this role:
**Must meet qualifications in order to be appointed as Animal Protection Officer**
- Minimum high school diploma; Post-secondary education in social sciences, criminology/law preferred
- Previous law enforcement and/or investigation experience an asset
- Valid BC Class 5 driver’s license is required and current driver’s abstract must be provided if considered for this position
- Current Criminal Record check must be provided if considered for this position
- Must have a genuine compassion for animals and sound knowledge of the Five Freedoms and related animal welfare standards
- Demonstrated knowledge of animals, their breeds, characteristics and more common diseases
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations regarding animals, animal welfare and related activities
- Demonstrated investigative, negotiation and mediation skills
- Experience in writing warrants, report writing and maintaining investigative file management
- Demonstrated ability to organize work, meet priorities and to work within a demanding work schedules with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with internal and external stakeholders at all levels in a positive manner
- Ability to keep information confidential
- Strong customer service, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Position is physically demanding and includes heavy lifting, pushing and pulling which requires an individual with the ability to maintain a level of fitness and endurance to fulfill the required duties
- Excellent Computer skills; proficient in Excel, Word & Outlook
- Ability to regularly travel throughout the assigned region and Province as necessary
We welcome diversity, value differences, and foster inclusion in our employment practices. We invite applications from all qualified individuals who are philosophically aligned with our mission and guiding principles.
If you are up for the challenge and would like to join the Cruelty Investigations Team, we would like to hear from you. The successful candidate will be legally entitled to work in Canada and required to undergo a criminal record check as a condition of employment and provide a current driver’s abstract. Click on apply now.
We thank you for your interest in the BC SPCA, however; only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.