Early Childhood Educator Job Description #: XXX
Effective ______________ Status: Part-Time
YMCA of Fredericton Contract Period: N/A
Manager of Child Care Department: Child Care
As a leader in Early Childhood Education, the YMCA of Fredericton offers Child Care and After School
programs for families. Located downtown Fredericton, we are a hub for children, youth and families to
gather and grow together. Our programming is designed to allow everyone the opportunity to reach their full
Besides being a leader in Child Care and After School programs, the YMCA offers evening and weekend
programming for families. Many free programs and services are available to support families in our
community. They include Early Learning programs to prepare your child for a successful start to school;
parenting workshops to provide information to parents and caregivers on a variety of topics; nutrition and
health activities and drop-in programs throughout the city.
Under the supervision of and in collaboration with the Director of Child Care and Manager of Child Care, Early
Childhood Educators will ensure a pleasant and secure environment for children ages 2-5 years old. Our Early
Childhood Educators will work in close collaboration with other educators, developing children in spirit, mind,
- Read and Sign off on the YMCA Staff and Volunteer Guide and the Child Protection Policy and
- Read and Sign off on NB Licensing Documents
- Follow and implement the YMCA Play to Learn Curriculum, which is a play-based curriculum.
Through this curriculum you are to guide the children’s learning of literacy, numeracy, art, and
- Provide a safe and fun environment for children
- Incorporate Physical Activity on a daily basis i.e. gym, outdoor play, swim time, etc.
- Ensure a constant presence with the children in your program, engaging in activities with the youth
and promoting safety first at all times.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with co-workers, families, and community
providers working with families.
- Practicing YMCA ‘SAM’ standards, develop a healthy rapport with the Fredericton YMCA After
School children, their families and the public, and ensure After School program spaces are kept
neat, tidy and safe at all times
- Attend mandatory staff meetings and YMCA staff training events
- Inform the Manager of Child Care of any program changes, problems, and any concerns
YMCA of Fredericton
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Early Childhood Education Diploma, Teaching
Certificate or equivalent is an asset
- Experience and/ or training in child development, children’s programs and
- Experience working in early learning and/ or school-age environments
- Age specific certificates considered an asset (i.e. Children with Disabilities, infant/ toddler, school
- Knowledge of Provincial licensing policies and regulations
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Strong customer service experience
- Staff medical
- Standard First Aid and Level C CPR
- SD Check
- Clear vulnerable sector and Criminal Record Check
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values:
Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of
and appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values.
Develops plans and takes action with a view to developing programs and services that
will generate results.
Child and Youth Focused:
Commits to assisting growth and development among children and youth.
Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring a richness
to the YMCA.
Does the right thing at the right time without being asked.
Guides, motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
Visualizes, understands and articulates YMCA outcomes and formulates strategies, plans
and actions for achievement.
Relationship Building and Collaboration:
Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve
work related goals.
Ensures that YMCA programs and services are superior.
- Hours: 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM, Monday to Friday (exceptions: School Closure and PD Days)
- As a YMCA of Fredericton staff person you are responsible for your own travel to and from work.
- The YMCA of Fredericton has a Joint Health and Safety Committee which meets on a monthly basis to
discuss health and safety within the workplace. Questions or concerns about your workplace must be
brought forward to committee members.
- As and Early Childhood Educator you will be required to work in an environment which is often busy
with elevated levels of noise.
- You will be required to work directly with children.
- You are responsible for the children’s’ safety on a daily basis. You will be required to perform first aid
and CPR when and if necessary.
- As a member of the YMCA you will be responsible for maintaining and following all New Brunswick
Licensing Standards for Child Care centres. You will be asked to review and understand each standard
and comply with the necessary requirements. You will also cooperate with licensing coordinators when
they visit your site to complete regular inspections.
- As per Licensing Standards, children are to spend a specified amount of time outside. This will require
you to work outside in the heat, snow and other elements at times.
- You will be responsible for following a schedule of activities for the children within your care. This
position will also require creativity and following the children’s interests. Collaboration with fellow staff
is highly encouraged.
- This position will require the staff person to stand for periods of times, sit and crouch while engaging
with children on their level.
- You will be responsible to follow and abide by YMCA SAM 2.0 Standards. Ensuring a clean and well-
maintained centre is required by all staff persons.
The above Job Description is merely a guideline for personnel to follow. Additional duties and tasks may be
required. In signing below, I understand my duties, responsibilities and the organizational expectations for
this role. My signature below indicates my understanding and commitment to the Association.
________________________________ Date: _____________________
______________________________ Date: ______________________