Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities - join us in creating a better Calgary
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization that responds to the needs and health of the community.
Guided by four core values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility, YMCA Calgary develop and delivers quality programs and services that promote the health of the community and provides opportunities for all Calgarians to belong, grow, thrive and lead. Our team of staff and volunteers are committed to creating a positive impact in the community through our health and wellness programs, child care and early education programs, community outreach programs (such as Indigenous, youth at risk, and cultural integration programs), leadership programs, camp experiences, and much more.
YMCA Calgary serves the community at our eight health and wellness locations, seven child care centres, two outdoor camp locations, and 60 community outreach locations. Join us in building healthy communities!
Kitchen Assistants, Cooks, Bakers and Team Leads
YMCA Camp Chief Hector (Located in Exshaw, Alberta)
$15.00 - $16.50/per hour depending on experience
April 20th, 2020
September 1st, 2020
You can make an impact in the community - locally and across the globe. You will work with a fun culture of people and enjoy many of the benefits and opportunities the YMCA offers:
- Onsite living accommodation available, in the mountains with unbelievable beauty in every direction;
- Work along passionate Red Seal Trained Chefs and Cooks with the possibility of Red Seal Apprenticeship program opportunities;
- Weekly activities such as black box competitions and culinary demos for all kitchen staff;
- Gardening and produce opportunities on our 1100-acre facility;
- Development opportunities and leading-edge training specific to our Rocky Mountain setting;
- Ongoing leadership development and opportunities.
What qualifications are we looking for?
We strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals. The successful candidate will have the following:
- Previous experience in banquet and large volume kitchens or Line cooking;
- Food Safe Certification (or willing to obtain with us);
- Experience working with children and youth is considered an asset but is not a requirement;
- Applicants with leadership skills will be considered for senior roles such as Kitchen Leads;
- Strong communication skills;
- A positive attitude and experience working in a team setting;
- A love for the outdoors and the Rocky Mountains we live under;
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification (CPR recertified within the last 12 months);
- Evidence of a clear Police Information Check and Vulnerable Sector Search;
- Three professional references.
What does this role look like at YMCA Calgary?
Day to day you will;
- Prepare nutritious and delicious food for children and our staff teams;
- Cater to a high end demographic with events such as weddings, conferences and retreats;
- Work on a team of 5 - 6 staff members;
- Make sure the kitchen is always held to a high standard of sanitation and cleanliness;
- Assist in baking production such as pies, tarts, pastries and similar baked goods;
- Ensure food waste is kept to a minimum;
- Ensure all vegetarian and dietary restrictions are cared for;
- Model and support the values of Camp Chief Hector YMCA and YMCA Calgary.
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary Staff and Volunteers?
Our employees embody the YMCA values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility. In addition, they model and are committed to the following competencies;
- Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
- Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
- Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
- Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
- Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
- Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
- Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Please note that evidence of a clear Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search is a requirement
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency or a valid Canadian work permit. YMCA Calgary is currently not engaged in international recruitment efforts as we are required to demonstrate that we have exhausted all means of recruitment both locally and nationally.
Potential candidates will only be contacted if selected for an interview.
For any concerns or questions please contact Cassandra Petrovic, Recruitment Manager,