Registered Practical Nurse - Emergency
Part-time Position(s) in the Emergency Department
There’s never been a better time to join Mackenzie Health! As we prepare to open our state-of-the-art Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital, and continue to operate Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital, we have many opportunities available for Registered Practical Nurses who share our commitment to quality, patient-centred care. Ultimately, this is where you want to be.
As a Registered Practical Nurse (RPN), you’ll use a patient- and family-centred approach in providing holistic, high-quality and safe care to patients within the scope of practice identified by the College of Nurses of Ontario, evidence-based nursing practices and the standards set by Mackenzie Health. Working collaboratively as a member of the interprofessional care team, you’ll contribute to creating a world-class health experience for patients and their families with every interaction, by demonstrating professionalism, exemplifying our Commitment to Caring, and upholding our values of excellence, leadership and empathy.
If this sounds like you, and you’re prepared to work days, nights, evenings and weekends (11.25-hour shifts) at any of our sites to meet patient care needs in Emergency, keep reading.
Contribute to safe, quality care by
- Providing culturally competent care to patients with well-defined and established complex care needs, who have predictable outcomes and manageable responses.
- Assessing patients to detect changes in their condition and/or needs and reporting them to appropriate team members.
- Administering and documenting therapeutic interventions and medications according to policies, procedures and standards.
- Acting as a patient advocate.
- Participating in continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
What must you have?
- Current Certificate of Registration in the General Class with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- If graduated prior to 1995, a Medication Administration Certificate from an approved community college.
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification.
- Coronary Care Course 1, or commitment to completing within 1 year of date of hire.
- Proven clinical experience with patient-focused care, including strong patient assessment, care planning, patient education and documentation skills.
What else do you bring?
Preferably, your profile also includes:
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and listening skills, with a sound knowledge of English and an ability to deliver information to, and work effectively with, patients, families and others.
- Demonstrated strong decision-making, problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Proven ability to manage a workload effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and professional development.
- Familiarity with the Regulated Health Professions Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS, and the Standards of Practice of the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Practical Nurse Diploma from an approved nursing program.
- Membership in the Registered Practical Nurses’ Association of Ontario (RPNAO).
- At least 1 year of recent nursing experience working as a Registered Practical Nurse in an acute care setting within the past 3 years.
- 1 year of Emergency or Telemetry experience.
- 2 years of Medicine/Surgical experience.
- Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition and Stabilization (PEARS)
- Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) course preferred, or GPA/or similar course
- Experience working with electronic medical records.
Experience a place where people come first
As a health care leader serving a population of more than half a million people, Mackenzie Health offers a dynamic, supportive environment of respect and continuous learning. A place where all staff are valued, can engage in meaningful work as part of a friendly, diverse team and use best-in-class technology to provide exceptional patient care. Experience a place where people come first. Experience Mackenzie Health – your ultimate career destination.
- This position is represented by OPSEU.
- You may be required to work at any site of Mackenzie Health
Mackenzie Health is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those under consideration for an interview will be contacted.