FirstVoices Intermediate Full-Stack Developer
ABOUT THIS ROLE
This is an excellent opportunity to make a difference in B.C. and join the team working on FirstVoices.com - an online platform for Indigenous language revitalization. We are looking for a technology professional who is passionate about developing user-friendly features, solving data problems in creative ways, and contributing to the continuous improvement of our platform. Our ideal candidate brings a variety of relevant experience developing with web technologies, but is also keen to master new technologies.
As FirstVoices Intermediate Full-Stack Developer, you will be developing both front-end and back-end code, integrating 3rd party services into FirstVoices, extending our API, and proactively designing, developing and planning new features and changes. This role is responsible for delivering scalable, efficient code as well as ensuring test coverage is sufficient. This role may include contributing to other FPCC initiatives beyond FirstVoices.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Developing front-end and back-end code for FirstVoices, including integrations with 3rd party systems
- Improving our code quality, test coverage, and automation processes
- Contributing to the design and architecture of FirstVoices and related systems and processes
- Providing technical expertise and experience when reviewing wireframes, features and pull requests
- Serving as the lead for some features of the FirstVoices eco-system (for example: batch upload scripts, media browsing, language map integration)
- Contributing to the documentation of our work and on-boarding of new developers to our project
- Proactively improving the security, accessibility and performance of the platform
- Participating in troubleshooting and profiling of systems
- Researching and suggesting new technologies, workflows and methods.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a computer science field, with a focus on software development; or an equivalent combination of education and experience in a software development role
- 2+ years experience programming in object-oriented Java
- 1+ years experience with API development and integration, SQL/NoSQL databases
- Experience using a variety of modern development tools and workflows - such as Maven, Ant and build automation tools
- Experience writing automated end-to-end tests and unit tests * Experience working within an agile team and in a CI/CD environment
- Expert knowledge of Git and Github
- Experience working with AWS, Nuxeo ECM or other OSGI-based systems is a plus
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices and a passion for clean, maintainable code.
- Ability to provide innovative, cost-effective solutions to complex business problems, from a 'user-first' perspective
- Demonstrated experience handling multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated experience providing high-quality, respectful support to peers, communities and stakeholders
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail - things don't get lost, missed or forgotten when you are around!
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills
- Demonstrated tact and judgment in interpersonal relationships
- You are able to work independently in a self-directed environment
- Ability to understand users' requirements and translate them into actions
- You are also: Inquisitive, a problem solver, patient, understanding and respectful, highly motivated, analytical
ABOUT OUR TECHNOLOGIES
We use open-source technologies and publish our code on Github: https://github.com/First-Peoples-Cultural-Council
- Our front-end is built using React/Redux, Material-UI and Webpack.
- Our back-end is built using Nuxeo, an extendible open-source Java based ECM, that utilizes Elasticsearch, Redis, and Postgresql
- We have some infrastructure in AWS, and will be utilizing it more and more
- We use Slack for stand-ups, Jira/Confluence for collaboration, Zoom for communication, and any other technology that makes our or our users' life easier (... and we also use the Microsoft suite).
- Work is done in a general office environment in Brentwood Bay or remotely.
- Although we support and encourage remote work, the successful candidate must be available for on-site work.
- Travel may be required to conferences and communities in B.C.
Submissions from applicants with Indigenous ancestry are strongly encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. All applications will be treated with strict confidentiality. Please submit your cover letter and resume with Intermediate Full Stack Developer in the subject line.
Job Type: Full-time
- ReactJS: 1 year (Preferred)
- HTML/CSS: 3 years (Preferred)
- java: 3 years (Preferred)
- AngularJS: 1 year (Preferred)