Student and Guest Services Representative
Housing and Residence Life
Term, Full Time (July 2019 to May 2020 )
Reporting to the Manager, Housing and Residence Life the Student and Guest Services
Representative provides exceptional front-line student and guest support within the UNBC
The Student and Guest Services Representative (SGSR) will assess and respond to a wide range
of situations and inquiries from the routine to the sensitive, confidential, critical, and unique.
Exercising judgement and discretion, the SGSR must demonstrate sensitivity while supporting a
diverse population of students and guests. With primary service delivery focused on current and
prospective UNBC Residence students, this position also works closely with Guest
Accommodations providing logistical information, operational support and service excellence.
The SGSR will be expected to demonstrate initiative and continually develop knowledge and
context for Housing & Residence Life and Guest Accommodation services. Additionally, building
knowledge and awareness of other internal supports, services and departments within the UNBC
community is essential to the success of this position. The Representative is an integral part of
the day-to-day operations of Housing & Residence Life at UNBC.
The duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Supporting student success and retention by providing exceptional customer service and
responding to enquiries in person, by phone, or by email;
- providing information to students on UNBC services and resources and assist students in
accessing those resources if necessary;
- redirecting and elevating inquiries as appropriate;
- explaining processes and providing forms and applications specific to the assigned
Department and support students in the completion and submission of these forms and
applications if needed;
- providing functional direction and instructions to workers, students, and volunteers;
- entering and utilizing Department specific data in spreadsheets and databases by using MS
Office suite, StarRez, reporting tools, and Banner;
- maintaining a high degree of organization and accuracy regarding data entry of fees/charges
and collection of monies related to Housing & Residence Life operations;
- assisting with marketing and promotional materials designated for Residence students and
- helping with budget oversight and general financial administration as well as the preparation
and processing of internal forms relating to other UNBC departments;
- accurate and secure management of Residence keys;
- supporting a range of special projects and event planning, which may include preparation of
promotional and informational materials for approval;
- providing general administrative support for the Manager, Housing & Residence Life as
- ordering and maintaining office supplies;
- maintaining the general order and tidiness of the reception and/or common areas;
- making travel arrangements and processing travel and other expense claims;
- creating web content for approval and maintain website.
The successful candidate will possess a one-year certificate/diploma in office or business
administration with a minimum of two years related experience in a post-secondary environment,
ideally within a student services setting and with a background in administrative procedures and
practices. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Proficiency in MS Word/Excel/Outlook is essential. Working knowledge of relational database
interfaces (e.g. Banner, StarRez) and MS Publisher are assets. The candidate must have an
aptitude for problem solving, with attention to detail and accuracy. Exceptional interpersonal skills
are necessary with demonstrated proficiencies in written and verbal communication skills, being
establish to rapport with both internal and external stakeholders, and an aptitude for effectively
liaising with and connecting student to other service providers. Sensitivity to a diverse population
of clientele is important. The candidate must have the ability to work independently, demonstrate
initiative, and have a proven ability to work in a team environment using a collaborative approach.
It is important to be highly organized, with the ability to prioritize competing deadlines and
interests. Judgment, tact, discretion, and confidentiality must be exercised in all matters with a
working knowledge of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) should
Appointment is subject to a criminal record check.
This position has been classified at Grade 5. The annual salary range for this position is
$45,304.29 to $47,184.49, and the normal starting salary will be $45,304.29.
Normal hours of work will be between 8:30am and 4:30pm, Monday through Friday.
Internal applicants from CUPE Local 3799 will be given priority consideration.
Please forward your resume and proof of education quoting competition #19-114CU to:
Human Resources, University of Northern British Columbia,
3333 University Way, Prince George, BC, V2N 4Z9
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. The University
of Northern British Columbia is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples,
persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
We thank all applicants for their interest in UNBC however, only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted until 4:30pm Wednesday July 31, 2019