Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Manulife's Investment Division manages the Company’s General Account on-balance sheet assets and through Manulife Asset Management, manages assets for institutional clients and investment funds in key markets around the world. Manulife Asset Management also provides investment management services to affiliates’ retail clients through product offerings of Manulife and John Hancock. The Division manages a broad range of investments including public and private bonds, public and private equities, mortgages, real estate, oil and gas, infrastructure, timberland, farmland and asset allocation strategies. The Division has physical presence in key international financial centers, including Canada, the United States, Hong Kong, Japan, the United Kingdom, Australia and South East Asia.
Overview of role
The Securities Accounting team plays a key role in the Investment Division by ensuring accurate, consistent and timely accounting for securities within the General Account, under multiple accounting bases.
Reporting to the AVP, Securities Accounting, the Senior Financial Analyst is a key member of the Securities Accounting team. This position is responsible for the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of accounting transactions in the MAXIMIS system (the administration and accounting book of record for securities). The incumbent will assist the AVP in providing sound advice to business partners on accounting treatments and procedures in order to maintain the integrity of MAXIMIS, Lawson general ledger and EAGLE data base.
What we bring
A bold ambition and set of goals to drive transformation in our industry
A mission for “Decisions made easier. Lives made better.”
A leadership team dedicated to your growth and success
Our best. Every day.
Service quality and risk management:
- Ensure accounting treatment for securities are in line with regulatory requirements across multiple accounting bases (e.g. IFRS, USGAAP, Statutory, and Tax).
- Responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of accounting results for the month end, quarter end, and year end close processes.
- Responsible and oversight of key reconciliations and analytics.
- Assist with the coaching and development of team members in Toronto and Manila, Philippines.
- Assist with day-to-day operational type functions related to cash/suspense, securities transfers, corporate actions and other general inquiries.
- Participate in special projects and initiatives.
- Collaborate with various business partners such as Trade Operations, Cash Management and Custody Services, Investment Accounting and Reporting, Asset Liability Management, Investment Systems and Corporate Controllers for day-to-day activities as well as on special transactions / projects.
- Work with Controls Center of Excellence (COE) and Internal and External Auditors for SOX walkthroughs, detailed testing, and annual audits. Ensure requests are addressed in a timely manner.
- Perform detail user acceptance testing for system enhancements and ensure any exceptions are properly reported and resolved within a timely manner.
- Demonstrate controls and maintain properly documented policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree required in business, accounting or finance.
- Attained or actively pursuing a professional accounting designation (CPA/CA/CMA/CGA)
- 3-5 years of experience in the investment/insurance industry preferably within a securities accounting area.
- Solid understanding of financial accounting standards, insurance and investment management industry.
- Strong knowledge of IFRS/USGAAP/NAIC in relation to investment accounting and reporting would be ideal.
- Attention to detail. Excellent analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Expert user of Microsoft Access and Excel. Experience with VBA Macros will be an asset.
- Solid organizational skills, including the ability to effectively plan, prioritize multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships and excellent communication skills.
- Comfortable with challenging the status quo. Flexible and change-oriented attitude that embraces new ideas and ways of working.
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2018, we had more than 34,000 employees, over 82,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 28 million customers. As of June 30, 2019, we had over $1.1 trillion (US$877 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $29.4 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States are where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.