Position Title: Head Start Worker – Tsay Keh Dene, BC
Reports To: Manager of Health & Wellness
Accountable To: Director of Health & Wellness
Department: Health & Wellness
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package
Position Type: Full Time (FT School Term)
Hours of Work: 35 Hours/Week Monday - Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm
This position will be working out of the Tsay Keh Dene Community and reporting to the Manager of Health Wellness. This position will be responsible for assisting the ECE Worker and implementing a developmentally based, educational Head Start program for his/her assigned class of children. The curriculum must meet the emotional, physical, cognitive & social needs of both the individual child and the group.
- Provide a warm, safe, and caring environment that is kept orderly, clean, and appealing.
- Plan, prepare and implement daily activities (indoor/outdoor) as they relate to the curriculum.
- Maintain ongoing developmental records for each child, including keeping records of all developing skills (physical, social, emotional, and cognitive).
- Keep a "portfolio" of each child's progress, including samples of their artwork, writing, etc.
- Maintain good communication with parents daily through the use of daily sheets, notes and/or verbally.
- Supervise, train and utilize Head Start Assistant's (and volunteer's) skills and abilities.
- Work with other staff members to form a positive, supportive team atmosphere.
- Ensure confidentiality of privileged information.
- Maintain adherence to all company policies and procedures, including safety requirements.
- Create a classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate to students' physical, social, and emotional development, emphasizing language development and emergent literacy skills.
- Provide coordinator with activities and opportunities that encourage curiosity, exploration, and problem-solving appropriate to the development levels of the children
- Model developmentally appropriate activities and positive behaviour management techniques through daily contact with children and early childhood staff in the classroom.
- Select books, equipment and other instructional materials appropriate for the early childhood program.
- Include materials and experiences in the classroom that are culturally appropriate and represent diversity.
- Maintain attendance records of children participating in the Program.
- Participate in team planning sessions with all project staff to ensure well-coordinated and effective delivery of project services to meet program objectives.
- Work cooperatively and effectively as a team member by communicating and contributing information on a continuous basis.
- Provide leadership and support for other early childhood providers.
- Work with the parent educator to facilitate parent and child interactive literacy activities
- Arrange for the provision of staff development for early childhood and other staff in child development.
Education and Experience
College certification in Early Childhood Education (Level 1, 2 or 3), or working to obtain this.
1-3 years experience in children's programming or services
Certification in Child Care First Aid
Must complete and pass a Criminal Record check
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills (patience and tolerance are required personality traits)
- Analytical and Observation skills are required assets
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good communication skills are required
- Computer literacy would be an asset
- Criminal Record Check clearance is a must
- Genuinely committed to the development and facilitation of children learning improvement and advancement
- Cultural sensitivity
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent negotiation and mediation skills
- Ability and willingness to perform required physical tasks
- Ability to recognize individual learning styles and the characteristics of the learners
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office tools, including Word, Excel
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, honesty and integrity at all times
- Strong ability to prioritize tasks and meet set deadlines
- Highly self-motivating and dedicated to continual learning and development
- May be exposed to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including exposure to the AIDS and hepatitis B viruses.
- Interacts with residents, family members, staff, visitors and government agencies.
- Travel may be required.
- Manual dexterity is required to use desktop computers and peripherals.
- Regular to frequent requirement and as needed to lift children (up to 45 lbs.) including bending, stooping, stretching, squatting, pushing and pulling and sitting and waling
- Noise level can be moderate to loud
- Intermittent physical activity including walking, standing, sitting, lifting and supporting students
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Vision care