Please submit a cover letter and resume to apply for this position.
At CNA, every person plays an important role in bringing nothing but the best to our customers. If you're looking for a career in a company that's evolving, has a great culture and amazing opportunities within the Insurance Industry, CNA is the clear choice. As part of the CNA team, you'll work with motivated team members who have pride in - and passion for - what they do. Guided by our core values, we remain steadfast to our commitment to career growth and development for all levels of team members so they may navigate their own future and grow with the company. We are deeply rooted in our history and bringing together the best minds in insurance.
CNA is an intelligent provider of technology and professional liability and has been a consistent presence in these markets. We understand the unique needs of our clients and offer an entire spectrum of coverages including Professional Liability, Cyber Liability, Media Liability and more.
The AVP is an Officer position responsible for providing overall underwriting excellence through management of the Technology and Professional Liability book of business across Canada. The AVP, Underwriting ensures effective management and implementation of strategic objectives for the Technology and Professional Liability portfolio.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Implements strategic objectives, underwriting strategies and best practices with substantial impact on the short-term success of a product line or segment.
- Ensures the achievement of continued profitability, growth and/or operational efficiencies for a product line or segment through assessment of risk tolerance, market appetite and emerging risk issues.
- Evaluates underwriting performance based on financial analysis. Includes rate, reserve adequacy, operational, planning and product reviews. Provides results to members of the underwriting management team and develops plans to resolve issues.
- Monitors the usage and profitability of alternative pricing programs.
- Drives adherence to underwriting authority delegation, audit criteria and catastrophe management for a product line or segment.
- Collaborates with business partners in Risk Control, Actuarial, Claim, Operations and Compliance to address governance and compliance issues related to underwriting practices.
- Provides guidance and direction in the development of underwriting and training tools.
- May lead, direct and have full management accountability for staff in area of responsibility with an emphasis on talent management and succession planning in accordance with strategic direction.
- May take lead responsibility for the development of underwriting strategies and position papers for emerging issues when assigned.
- May maintain relationships with branches, brokers and customers to assess risk tolerance, market appetite and emerging issues.
- May perform additional duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- In-depth technical knowledge of underwriting theories and practices within the insurance field.
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels of external and/or internal business partners within scope of responsibility, team and/or matrix environment.
- Leadership and management skills, demonstrating integrity and professionalism.
- Ability to drive results by identifying, and resolving problems within scope of responsibility.
- Knowledge of the insurance industry, its products and services.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with Master’s preferred in a related discipline, or equivalent.
- Typically a minimum of 10 years of related work experience, with five years management experience.
- Proven expertise in managing developing book of Professional Liability, and established relationships in the field.
- Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) roles.
As a full-time employee your benefits include:
· A competitive salary
· An annual performance bonus
· A pension plan
· Flexible work hours
· Top of the line medical and dental insurance
· And many more benefits (fitness subsidy, in-house training, etc.)
We are excited to learn more about you!
At CNA, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process or upon hire, please inform Human Resources. If a selected applicant requests accommodation during the recruitment process, CNA will consult with the applicant in order to provide suitable accommodation that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.
Only selected candidates will be contacted. No agencies please.
Job Type: Full-time
- Commercial Underwriting: 7 years (Preferred)