Requisition ID: 36807
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Residing in the Park Development part of the City of Vancouver’s (the “City”) Board of Parks and Recreation (“Park Board”), the Business Analyst works to advance project management, quality management, data analysis, information management, and reporting practices, and contribute to efforts of continuous improvement of business processes, systems, and operations.
Key responsibilities include conducting various types of analysis, such as gap analysis, qualitative and quantitative options analysis, current and future state mapping, process evaluation and optimization, and maturity assessments.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts business process analysis (using Lean implementation methodology or similar methodologies) to conduct value stream mapping, identify relevant KPIs, complete current state analysis, develop future state recommendations and build an implementation plan for a variety of business processes and value streams
- Supports development, implementation, and improvement of project and quality management practices in Park Board
- Supports medium to large-scale projects during all phases of a project lifecycle
- Assists in the development and maintenance of the Park Board training program and materials and conducting and facilitating workshops; providing on-going training support to the department
- Creates and presents project and portfolio level reports or topics to project team members, project stakeholders and senior executives, and elected officials (e.g. Park Board) including creating and distributing communications materials
- Facilitates decision-making and collaborative workshops for Department Senior Management Team, Division/Branch Heads, Steering Committees (e.g. Capital Delivery Oversight Committee)
- Assists in procurement activities and documents preparations
- Manages continuous improvement initiatives
- Leads and oversees a small team of consultants on a project basis
- Performing Project Manager duties for small projects and Park Board initiatives
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- A related bachelor’s degree (i.e. Business/Public Administration, Economics, Commerce) or any other related field
- A minimum of five years of proven experience in leading, supporting, and implementing business improvement or business transformation projects, project management, process reviews and successfully managing change
- A minimum of three years of experience in management or as project manager within the public sector or in a similarly large multi-stakeholder organization or an equivalent combination of experience and education
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management methodologies and standards; PMP designation an asset
- High level of proficiency with IT applications; advanced usage of Excel required
- Detailed knowledge of business practices in effect at other local and more senior governments, and/or in private industry
- High degree of analysis and structured thinking
- Superior research and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written and graphic communications skills and presentation skills, across all levels of the organization
- Ability to think innovatively, solve complex problems, and present solutions in clear and compelling terms
- Effective organizational skills and demonstrated ability to coordinate priorities and deliver high-quality and timely results under tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to independently research topics, analyze problems or trends, summarize results and make sound recommendations
- Experience in effectively leading business consulting teams
- Ability to work with senior levels of management, vendors and consultants
- Data modelling experience desirable
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All external applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: September 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-080: $89,283 to $111,609 annually
Application Close: August 24, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.