360°kids has been a leader in the delivery of innovative support services for over 30 years as we work to improve the lives of homeless and at-risk youth and families in York Region. We are a vitally important community agency serving all of York Region. At 360°kids, we provide a unique continuum of care approach with a range of programs and services that are essential to the health and well-being of youth and that are proven strategies for helping to keep youth off the streets by providing safe housing options.
With a high level of enthusiasm, the successful candidate is eager to contribute to an inspiring organization that makes significant impact within our community. The incumbent will be self-motivated and driven to succeed with a “solutions-focused” attitude. Inspired to contribute, and ready to work hard and learn quickly in a fast-paced environment, the individual must be passionately inspired by our mission.
Reporting to the Team Lead, Outreach & Leadership Engagement Gang Intervention Team (LEGIT) Programs, the Youth Outreach Worker will engage and connect with at-risk youth, aboriginal youth, and youth from racially diverse, culturally diverse, sexually diverse, and gender diverse backgrounds within a Community Centre setting, connecting them to supports, resources and programming within that Community Centre or within 360ᵒkids programs and the grater community.
- Engages youth within the Aaniin Community Centre and builds strong therapeutic relationships.
- Provides informal one on one counselling to the youth in program.
- Works closely with the Aaniin Community Centre staff to identify solutions for youth related issues, including, but not limited to; violence, bullying, harassment, and equity seeking communities.
- Advocates on youth’s behalf and acts as a positive role model.
- Resolves conflict situations including client complaints and disputes. Listens, mediates, negotiates, and provides support and guidance to resolve issues and documents outcomes.
- Consults with Community Centre staff to share feedback and establish goals that support growth and development.
- Coordinates, develops, and facilitates biweekly, and/or monthly life skills programming, mentoring and provides access to direct services to address issues youth presently face (e.g. employment, family issues, life skills, shelter, hot meals, counselling, recreational activities, and clothing).
- Encourages youth engagement with community services by making referrals and reducing barriers to accessing outside supports and services, by accompanying them to agencies, and helping them access information about services.
- Assesses, conducts intakes or refers youth as needed to 360°kids’ programs or supports.
- Ensures safety and well-being of clients when in contact with them.
- Connects with staff from other programs and community agencies (e.g., hospitals, social workers, doctors, courts, immigration, shelters, drop-ins, health clinics, legal programs) to provide program information or to advocate for transfers/placements of clients.
- Liaises with participants, parents, community partners, agencies, donors, co-workers, and volunteers. Develops positive relationships with the communities being served by the program and with the general public.
- Answers inquiries from colleagues and partner agencies and provides guidance and access to 360°kids programs.
- Reports on a regular basis to Team Leader regarding issues of need and/or concern.
- Completes all mandatory recording and reporting including daily documentation, statistical data collection and completing registration forms. Provides reports and related information to the Team Leader as required.
- Follows appropriate policies and procedures of 360°kids. Ensures that the program operates in line with 360°kids’ mission, vision and values and activities comply with applicable standards and laws.
- Other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS OR SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Post-Secondary degree/diploma Child/youth related field (e.g. Child and Youth, Social Service Worker, Social Worker, Psychology, Sociology) or the equivalent combination of education and experience working with youth.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience required working with at risk youth and/or street involved people.
- Experience with MS Office, with the ability to prepare, and write reports and maintain same.
- Current first aid/CPR certification required.
- Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) training and asset
- Current vulnerable sector screening (criminal background check).
- Car and valid driver’s license with a clean driver’s abstract and insurance liability coverage at $2,000,000.
- Advanced knowledge of issues relating to activities of street involved people and knowledge of relevant legislation.
- Experience in assisting persons with psycho/social/physical, educational, emotional, and/or environmental problems in a variety of locations.
- Experience addressing the needs of homeless clients or clients at risk of homelessness including making referrals to community agencies.
- Excellent assessment skills with experience responding to situations based on available information.
- Possesses strong personal ethics and integrity, as well as, exceptional interpersonal skills, including influencing, consensus/team building, facilitation, negotiation, conflict resolution, management, leadership, motivation, delegation, coaching/mentoring, and empowerment.
This role is a part time role; 24 hour per week. Candidates must be flexible to work a variety of shifts including days, evenings and weekends.
Must have: Current first aid/CPR certification, current vulnerable sector screening (criminal background check), car and valid driver’s license with a clean driver’s abstract and $2 million liability insurance.
360°kids is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates. We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. 360°kids offers accommodation for applicants in our recruitment processes, if you are contacted regarding a job opportunity please advise if you require accommodation.
Job Type: Part-time
- working with at-risk and/or street-involved youth: 3 years (Required)
- Driver's License (Required)
- First Aid/CPR (Required)