45229-CSE(OC)2019 Closing Date: 2020-03-31
CSE is currently looking to fill several systems administrators and systems analysts positions. These positions exist in very dynamic and challenging operational environments. The work is in direct support to CSE missions.
Individuals selected will assist with the engineering, configuration and support of a variety of hardware and software. Our team relies heavily on virtualization to support our operations and successful candidates will be comfortable building and supporting the virtualized infrastructure.
Candidates should be comfortable with most or all of the following: storage systems, backups in a virtualized environment, Python / Bash scripting, Linux system maintenance, troubleshooting and hardening. Knowledge of IP networking is required to effectively manage our systems.
There is an expectation that team members will identify systems requiring improvement and provide informed guidance to the rest of the team. Additionally, our environment demands that team members be constantly improving their IT security skills and applying these skills daily.
Your role will entail participation in technical research and development enabling continued innovation within the IT infrastructure environments. You will be responsible for effective provisioning, installation, configuration and supporting advancement of the following technologies in leading-edge technical environments:
- Various operating systems running on Enterprise class machine (High Performance Computers, clusters, etc);
- Virtualization technologies (VMware, OpenStack);
- Storage technologies (Storage Area Network, Network-Attached Storage, backups/restore);
- Identity and access management (LDAP, Active Directory, Oracle Identity and Access Management Suite);
- Open source and commercial software (Apache, Salt, Ansible, IBM Tivoli)
Term and indeterminate positions can be staffed from this process, with a one (1) year probation period.
UNI-7 / UNI-8 / UNI-9
$78,001 TO $91,764
$83,250 TO $97,942
$89,304 TO $105,060
These positions are currently eligible for a market allowance.
The salary and market allowance are under review.
University degree* in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or related discipline;
College diploma in computer science field with applicable experience;
University degree or college diploma combined with an at least 5-year experience in an IT Discipline.
- Experience providing technical support or advice on enterprise systems.
- Experience managing IT incidents or changes using an IT Service Management tool.
- Experience interacting with clients to resolve incidents or implement changes with respect to enterprise systems.
- Experience leading or assisting in the delivery of IT projects.
- Experience performing system administration tasks on enterprise systems.
- Experience with Linux or Windows operating systems on enterprise infrastructure.
- A minimum of three years recent experience (within the last five years) with Linux or Unix systems administration
- A minimum of one year recent experience (within the last three years) hardening Linux, Unix or Windows systems
- A minimum of one year recent experience (within the last two years) writing and maintaining scripts in Bash or Python
- A minimum of two years recent experience (within the last four years) with virtualization technologies such as VMWare or Hyper-V
- Experience with scripts on Windows and/or Linux
- Experience in networking in a data centre environment including, but not limited to, IP networking, cabling, switch, and firewall configuration
- Recognized professional network certifications (e.g. CCNA).
- Experience with Windows systems administration
- Experience configuring and supporting SAN based storage systems
- Basic understanding of Windows Server administration
- Infrastructure / Platforms – Knowledge and ability to support the enterprise computing infrastructure (e.g. enterprise servers, client server, storage devices and systems, hardware and software) in the provision, management, storage, operation, scheduling, support and maintenance of the infrastructure.
- Knowledge of Information Technology – Possesses a generalist’s knowledge of all areas in IT, including but not limited to: Software Application Development, Database Management, IT Security, IT Architecture, System Administration.
- System Integration – The incremental and logical integration and testing of components and/or subsystems and their interfaces in order to create operational systems
- Telecommunications (Data and Voice) Networks – Knowledge and ability to implement the methods and practices governing the design, analysis, development, management and use of the hardware and software used to transfer information such as data, voice, images and video.
- Project Management– Delivering on commitments by planning, implementing, monitoring and completing projects and/or assigned tasks, ensuring effective management of scope, resources, time, cost, quality, risk and communications.
- Please describe your background and experience with using VMware NSX and Cisco ACI.
- Describe your background deploying enterprise class systems using vmWare or hyperV.
Who Can Apply:
Canadian citizens who can qualify for a Top Secret security clearance, conforming to CSE’s standards.
Candidates must have no criminal record. This process involves a security interview, a polygraph test, a psychological assessment, and a background investigation covering a minimum of your last 10 years history, including credit and financial verifications.
How to Apply:
Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their application how they meet each EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE criteria. Failure to do so will result in the applicant being screened out of the career opportunity.
If you meet these requirements, you may submit your candidacy online by clicking “APPLY” at the bottom of the page.
CSE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. CSE offers an assessment process which will accommodate the needs of persons with disabilities. If you may need such accommodation, please advise us.
CSE is a separate organization and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA). The organization has its own values-based staffing regime and as such, has the flexibility to determine qualifications for positions and how these qualifications will be assessed in a selection process.
Candidates must be able to provide proof of education credentials.
All tests and interviews will take place in Ottawa. Please note that CSE will not provide financial assistance to candidates who wish to travel to Ottawa to participate in the selection process.
The entire selection process – tests, interviews, security investigation – may take more than one year.
Overtime and standby duty may be required.
The market allowance does not form part of an employee’s salary. This allowance is negotiated through the collective bargaining process.
If you are deemed to be unsuccessful in the assessment process for this particular poster, you may reapply eight (8) months after you have completed the associated Hackerrank exam.
Please include three references (2 supervisors and 1 peer) at the bottom of your application. Note that we will only contact references towards the end of the assessment process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CSE. However only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.