Pickering Casino Resort is seeking Sushi Cooks!
Don’t miss the opportunity to join One Toronto Gaming’s new Pickering Casino Resort Food and Beverage team!
This exciting career opportunity at the new Pickering Casino Resort is seeking dynamic individuals with a drive to succeed, strong guest relations and energetic skills; responsibilities of this role will align with the position of Sushi Cook upon opening of Pickering Casino Resort.
Under the general direction of the Chef de Partie & Sous Chef, this position will be responsible for assisting, supervising and coordinating activities of themselves and junior cooks within a workstation or restaurant. They must also have an ability to read, interpret and assist in the preparation of recipes that are close to the philosophy of Japanese cuisine. The successful incumbent will be responsible for providing and ensuring guest satisfaction in a professional manner. This role must contribute to a safe and welcoming work environment for all employees and must demonstrate the ability to multi-task in a fast-pace environment. Above all else, this position must lead by example to create Great Experiences and Memories for all guests and colleagues!
The ideal candidate is an energetic professional with proven knowledge, skills and abilities, executing the following in support of the company’s vision, mission and values:
- Provides exceptional customer service to guests in an upbeat, positive and professional manner;
- Work closely with Chef de Partie and/or Sous Chef to review requirements and time frames for restaurant service daily;
- Demonstrate ability to read, interpret and prepare recipes for all basic bread and pastry items;
- Participate in the creation of celebration cakes and desserts for special functions and events including wedding and catering;
- Follow daily flow chart to estimate food and time requirements to prepare pastry items;
- Use production sheets and meal counts information to produce correct amount of food products;
- Observe and support junior cooks to ensure quality and service standards are met;
- Clean and sanitize workstations during and after meal preparation;
- Organize daily workstation operation to ensure speed, efficiency and all aspects of the jobs are followed according to established procedures;
- Provide guidance and training to entry level cooks with recipe knowledge and baking procedures;
- Observe and test food items by tasting smelling and using a thermometer to ensure correct internal temperature has been reached before serving the food;
- Monitor workstation to ensure all employees working in the area understands company and public health standards in preparing, holding, storing, reheating and serving food;
- Prepare food items in accordance with culinary operations standards and food safety regulations;
- Ensure proper stock rotation and assist management in identifying strategies to reduce food and product waste;
- Take immediate corrections to pastries and desserts on the buffet or a la carte to ensure quality is maintained;
- Ensure food temperature records, HACCP and other logs are completed accurately for internal and external audits;
- Report any unsafe acts, near misses or accidents immediately to the Executive Chef;
- Adhere to all AGCO, GCGC, departmental and HR policies as they relate to functions of the role;
- Ensure compliance with licensing laws, health and safety and other statutory regulations;
- Perform other duties as assigned
Successful applicants will demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Post-Secondary education in Culinary Management;
- Successfully obtained a Red Seal or equivalent highly recognized hotel, pastry or bakery experience;
- Minimum three years of experience working in a bakery/pastry station and preparing food in a 4- or 5-star hotel; Written references required;
- Completion of Smart Serve and Safe Food Handling Certificates;
- Ability to read, interpret and prepare recipes for bread and pastry items;
- Extensive knowledge in food handling procedures with regards to public health standards;
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, customer service and communication skills;
- Knowledge of supply or inventory management system;
- Maintain a positive working relationship with fellow employees and management as part of a team;
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to successfully pass criminal record check or obtain registration as a Category 2 Gaming Assistant with the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.
Pickering Casino Resort candidates must be ready and willing to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, holidays and overnights. The hours of work will be based on operational needs. Ready to embark on your next adventure?
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent
- Sushi Cook: 2 years (Preferred)