Ongwanada is committed to improving the quality of life for hundreds of people with developmental disabilities and their families in Kingston and eastern Ontario.
The Residential Counsellor provides support for and advocates on behalf of clients to meet their physical, psychological and social needs. They advise and assist Community Support Workers and other staff members under the direction of the Community Residence Supervisor and act as primary counsellor for specific clients. They assist and actively participate in the planning and implementation of residential programs as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Promotes and models "person served first" organizational focus;
- Supports with activities of daily living including personal hygiene, grooming, meal preparation, the use of leisure time and safety issues where appropriate;
- Monitors, prepares and administers medications as prescribed;
- Plans, develops, implements and monitors Support Plans and Behavioural Support Plans;
- Promotes skills development in persons served whenever possible;
- Participates in home related duties, as required i.e. cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.;
- Drives persons served to day programs, appointments, activities, etc. utilizing Ongwanada vehicles;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
For the complete position description contact Human Resources.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Graduate of a Community College or University in a related field, i.e. Developmental Service Worker (DSW), Behavioural Science Technologist (BST.), BA Psychology, Registered Nurse, or equivalent
- Current certificates in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), First Aid and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training
- Successful completion of an Ongwanada recognized pharmacology course
- A valid class G driving license with full driving privilege, and successful completion of an Ongwanada recognized Defensive Driving Course
- Excellent interpersonal skills, good oral and written communication skills combined with sound judgment
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job and to work shifts
Les candidats bilingues sont fortement encouragés à soumettre leur candidature.
Please submit a Resume and Cover Letter.
Reference ID: OP-20-13
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
Salary: $26.16 /hour