Legalization has opened up the recreational cannabis market in Canada, and the global demand for medical cannabis continues to expand. In this exciting new environment, Canopy Growth’s mission is to be the No. 1 cannabis company in the world. We’re looking for incredible people to join us on the journey.
With millions of square feet of licensed cannabis production and operations spanning five continents, Canopy Growth Corporation (“Canopy Growth”) is the largest legal producer of cannabis in the world. It is a listed company on the Toronto Stock Exchange (WEED), the New York Stock Exchange (CGC), and is part of the S&P Composite Index. Its wholly owned subsidiaries — including its flagship, Tweed, and international medical companies operating under the Spectrum Therapeutics brand — are leading producers of legal, regulated cannabis.
Headquartered in Smiths Falls, Ontario, Canopy Growth recognizes that employees are at the core of its success, and takes pride in a corporate culture that emphasizes inclusiveness, collaboration, and diversity. Our employees come from a wide range of backgrounds, each bringing their own unique skills and talents to the table, working together to continue and increase our incredible momentum of growth.
The Human Resources Business Partner, Retail at Canopy Growth, will play a key position within our multi-unit retail business. Reporting directly to the Director, Human Resources (Retail) the successful candidate will be a driven, highly organized, outstanding communicator with the ability to multitask when priorities change. In this role you will assist in the development and execution of HR strategies, initiatives and programs including organizational change, employee relations, recruiting, performance management, compensation analysis/administration, employee development initiatives, and rewards and recognition, to support the retail business strategy and achievement of site objectives.
Our ideal candidate is professional, business focused, calm under pressure, a multi-tasker, sees all sides of the situation and is comfortable asking the right questions to help support the business needs. You enjoy a fast-paced environment, where change is part of the everyday.
- Partner with the retail business in developing an understanding of the people and organizational strategy needs and assist in designing and executing solutions in the areas of talent acquisition, change management, organizational design, business process improvement, performance management, and effective communication
- Proactively initiate dialog with retail management team, provide advice on issues affecting morale, performance, development and organization effectiveness, helping to determine root causes and recommending appropriate next steps
- Provide day-to-day support to Retail Managers and Employees within the assigned client-group(s) on all HR related matters
- Assist and provide guidance to Retail Managers within the assigned client group(s) on employee relations issues (conflicts, disputes, performance management)
- Maintain knowledge of progressive retail HR practices and trends to drive departmental initiatives
- Coach business leaders on leadership behaviors and practices, employee communications, development and performance management strategies and tactics to promote engagement and a culture of continuous growth and development
- Identify, gather and provide requirements to help with the development of retail HR policies, programs and initiatives and participate in implementation
- Organize and conduct new employee orientations and prepare on-boarding packages in partnership with the HR Coordinators
- Collaborating with operational leaders in the development of a more empowered and accountable culture with shared priorities
- Conduct research, manage projects and create internal communications as needed
- Coordinate the tri-annual performance review process within the assigned client group(s) and ensure alignment with corporate initiatives.
- Working closely with the Talent Acquisition team to recruit, hire and retain the best talent by participating in the interview process for al positions within the assigned business units.
- Advising retail management and resolving employee relations issues in the day-to-day.
- Working closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, increase productivity and retention
- Leading Human Resources projects assigned by Director, Human Resources (Retail)
- Manage multiple priorities in an energetic, fast-paced environment
- Other duties as assigned
Experience and Background
- Extensive knowledge of HR legislation and best practices in Canada
- 4-6 years of experience in HR in the retail industry will be considered an asset
- Proficiency in MS office, including: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio
- Strong screening and interviewing skills including behavioural interview techniques
- Experience in a Manufacturing environment an asset
- Self starter
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail
- Results oriented
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with employees and management
- Ability to handle situations professionally with sensitivity, diplomacy and tact
- Must be a team player
- Experience with Ceridian Dayforce an asset
- Bilingual- English/French is an asset
This is a full-time position based out of Edmonton, Alberta but will be supporting multiple sites in several regions. Travel is required.
We appreciate the interest from all candidates, and promise to review all applications, but we will only be contacting those who best fit the requirements. If you don’t hear from us, don’t fret; every resume we get is kept in our database for six months for consideration in future searches for talent.
Canopy Growth welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
One last note:
the chosen applicant will be required to successfully complete background and reference checks.
Thank you so much for your interest in Canopy Growth.