HSB BI&I is a leader in providing specialized equipment breakdown insurance. We provide insurance and
reinsurance to Canadian and global businesses through our coast to coast network of offices, 4,000
independent insurance brokers and over 50 major insurance companies. HSB BI&I is a member of the
Hartford Steam Boiler Group and part of the global Munich Re Group of Companies.
- We have over 140 years of experience and through our modern systems and practices remain
unsurpassed in meeting our customers’ needs.
- You can become an expert in your field while enjoying a healthy work/life balance and a
collaborative, friendly atmosphere in our offices.
We invite you to learn more about us at our website:
- We offer a comprehensive benefits program to our employees.
The Business Analyst role is a key position responsible for ensuring that business needs are fully understood
and implemented by the IT team. The Business Analyst plays a critical part in interpreting business
requirements, understanding IT capabilities and translating these into modern and flexible solution designs.
The Business Analyst is a conduit through which effective change and solutions are actioned and delivered.
- Performs analysis of business and user needs and document business requirements for the
design and development of an application system.
- Defines systems scope, objectives and solutions that fulfill specific business objectives and
service level agreements (SLAs) by working with business representatives to elicit requirements
and by applying their knowledge of business processes, industry practices and relevant
- Designs solutions that support business functions, processes and applications. Applies knowledge
of the business area and functions in development and evaluation of alternatives for IT solutions,
while balancing important concerns such as adherence to established practices, and alignment
with enterprise strategy.
- Participates in from the early phases of projects, producing solution options and approach
documents that clarify the problem space. Proposes a recommended solution, explains the
rationale, enumerates significant components (people, process and technology) and addresses
relevant constraints, risks, competing concerns, alternatives and the consequences of proposed
choices. ensures adherence to HSB Group architecture standards and methodologies, ensures
that solutions address all functional and non-functional requirements, and leads multifunctional
teams in the successful integration of application components.
- Acts as an advocate for promoting change and developing solutions for improvements to
applications processes and technology.
- Acting as a bridge between business and IT, business analyst collaborates with Business
Solutions team to provide consultation on topics such as methodology, process and design,
determine options on closing gaps between business capabilities and systems supporting the
- Participates in process flow analysis and process redesign along business process improvement
specialist and Business Solutions team.
- Participates and supports the creation of a detailed functional design document to match
- Communicate business needs of the project to the technical team.
- Directly involved in the implementation, evaluation and testing of the business applications.
- Based on business requirements, produces technical specification for custom development and
systems integration requirements.
- Provides current best practice and 3rd Party solution alternatives as part of the functional design
- Participates and leads, when needed, project meetings with the customer.
- Work closely with Quality Assurance team for project testing strategy and plans.
- Provide input for business readiness plans, including communication, and training.
- Triage and document incoming incidents to ensure proper incident priority are assessed.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in a technical discipline, business analysis or equivalent education
and work experience.
- 5-7 years related experience.
- Experience with SQL is an asset.
- Developer experience an asset, but not required.
- Background in proven and emerging architectures/technologies such as SOA, web services and
- Solid exposure to multi-tiered architecture, design, and implementation.
- Knowledge of agile methodologies.
- Previous Insurance Industry experience is an asset.
- Strong creativity in solution design; inventive thinking.
- Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple, concurrent activities and the ability to adapt to
- Strong analytical, facilitation, problem solving and organizational skills. Experience leading
meetings, coordinating deliverables, and resolving issues.
- Ability to communicate to both the technical and non-technical communities.
- Experience working in a matrixed environment, with functional reporting relationship and global IT.
- A strong desire to keep abreast of new and emerging technologies.
Creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes respect, diversity and dignity is important to us.
We strive for equality in our workplace, to eliminate employment barriers, and promote a workplace based
on principles which align with our company values and promote positive employee practices.
Candidates requiring accommodation during any stage of our selection process should advise us of this;
we will strive to work with individuals to find a suitable means to meet their needs.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please quote Job Reference BA-0520BW and send a
covering letter along with a resume to:
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.