Part Time Disability Support Worker
Job Number: J1019-0789
Job Type: Permanent, Part-Time
City: Cold Lake, Alberta
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week:
Week 1 - 6pm to 9pm Friday and Saturday overnight
Week 2 - 9am to 6pm Wednesday and Thursday 11pm-7am (sleep rate, $15/hr)
Closing Date: November 13, 2019
Hiring Manager Name & Title: Sandra Sac Aguilar - Program Manager
Compensation: $18.03 - $21.65/Hour
WJS Canada works to improve the lives of persons with developmental disabilities by encouraging them to be self directed and to make their own decisions. In order to build social, communication skills and life skills our team members offer support to encourage and enable independence, self expression and creativity in the persons we serve. Behavioral and health-related support is tailored to their individual needs.
As a front-line worker, the Disability Support Worker supports and facilitates the development of skills and competencies that will assist persons with developmental disabilities to pursue and fulfill their goals, objectives and aspirations.
In Your Role You Will
- Demonstrate how to accomplish tasks to acceptable levels, and provides client with the information, tools and resources to best function and enable them to complete tasks and/or make decisions.
- Provide instruction, guidance and support in a helpful and supportive manner.
- Implement person-centered plans designed to support and assist persons in a residential group or private home setting
- Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills or assist with direct care of high needs and/or medically fragile individuals, as required.
- Identify client needs and expectations and respond in a respectful, helpful and responsive manner.
- Be aware of the individual’s physical, social and recreational environments, taking action to minimize risks and maximize participation/inclusion.
- Assist and support individuals to participate in a meaningful way in their personal life planning definition of personal goals.
- Model socially appropriate behaviours (for the individual and the community).
- Administer medical administration or first aid, according to prescribed procedures.
- Participate in shift exchanges, staff communication and communication of issues or concerns.
- Maintain required documentation.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
- MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with persons with developmental disabilities
- Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
- Must have valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
- Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
- A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
- Demonstrated skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
- First Aid/CPR Certification
- Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
- Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $18.03 to $21.65 /hour
- developmental disability support: 1 year (Required)
- Secondary School (Required)
- Vaild Driver's (Required)