Are you a Maintenance worker who flourishes when able to build meaningful and lasting relationships with your clients and team?
If so, you should consider joining our team at Christenson Communities! We are looking for a Temporary 6 month contract - Maintenance Technician to support our Devonshire Village location in Edmonton, AB.
At Christenson Communities we have over 1,500 retirement living suites located in Edmonton, Sherwood Park, St. Albert, Red Deer, Lacombe and Rocky Mountain House. We offer a worry-free lifestyle for aging adults, no matter how diverse their needs, where we create special moments and celebrate life each and every day. We honor our residents and staff with innovation and creativity, always embarking on projects that will continue to keep us as an industry leader. Ultimately it is our excellence carried through by the Christenson brand name and experience that sets us apart.
The primary objective of the Maintenance Worker is to ensure assigned building(s) or complex of buildings are being managed and maintained in a safe and environmentally responsible manner and to the highest level of operational efficiency.
Reporting to the Building Maintenance Supervisor, the Maintenance Worker position is responsible for overall building maintenance, operation, repairs, installations and support for all building systems and operations.
Roles and Responsibilities
· Performing maintenance requirements within facilities and site including but not limited to minor drywall repairs, painting, and basic maintenance for HVAC, electrical & plumbing systems.
· Perform routine equipment and system maintenance tasks including making adjustments and minor repairs, such as locks, appliances, etc.
· Monitoring the performance of and ensuring effective operation of the following systems; emergency, HVAC, landscaping, building operations, plumbing, exterior, electrical, and equipment. Includes minor maintenance of boiler, exhaust fan, cooling tower, expansion tank, force flow system, heat exchanger, hot water tank, pumps, sump pump, make-up air and miscellaneous other items.
· Maintaining the grounds, facility and equipment in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with government standards.
· Maintain clean, organized, and safe worksite keeping in mind slip, trip, and fall hazards. Cleaning and organization of all mechanical, electrical, storage, boiler rooms.
· Keeping accurate maintenance records of work completed.
· Daily walk around the interior common areas (lobby, halls, stairwells, garbage room, boiler room, elevator, mechanical rooms, etc.) to determine if there are leaks or other matters requiring corrective action.
· Daily walk around of all exterior common areas (garbage ramp, parking areas, landscaping, sidewalks, etc.) to pick up and dispose of litter/dirt, light snow removal and sanding of walkways, making site safe, and to determine if there are issues that require further or corrective action
· Conducting property site visits/inspections to identify and make recommendations as applicable. Report all interior and exterior common property items requiring repair/maintenance beyond personal scope in a prompt and timely manner
· Working to problem solve, plan, organize, communicate and cooperate with other staff members to ensure tasks are completed.
· Identify and report to Director of Maintenance any problems and recommend changes to improve efficiency, reduce operating costs, or comply with environmental, building, and safety codes
· On call 24 hours a day, and respond to emergency situations 24/7 (e.g. power failures, floods, floods, fire, heat pump malfunctions, wind damage, etc.).
· Respond to requests from building residents, including minor maintenance or assist in the coordination of maintenance to the interior of suites.
· Other maintenance duties as required to assist in the efficient operation of the property and building
· High School Diploma or GED, supplemented by other discipline related to building maintenance or equivalent experience preferred. Education or experience in a property management program such as BOMA or IREM would be an asset
· Must possess a valid provincial driver's license and have a reliable vehicle
· 3-5 years' experience in building maintenance and repairs
· Journeyperson trade certificate is a valued asset.
· Certification in First Aid and WHIMIS would be an asset
· Able to work independently with minimal direction and respond to emergency situations of all types, required during regular hours and after-hours calls.
· Knowledge in the operation of various hand and power tools
· Ability to allocate one's time effectively, work under pressure and manage tight deadlines. Handle multiple demands and competing priorities, adapt to new ideas and changes
· Ability to communicate effectively and professionally utilizing computer, oral and written skills. Good knowledge of Windows, Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, Apple mobile communication devices
· Ability to develop and sustain good working relationships with contractors, residents and public.
· Embrace and proactively support company culture of environmental and social responsibility. Consider sustainability when evaluating options for replacement materials, equipment and devices.
· Must possess a positive attitude and patient nature, with the ability to communicate effectively with residents, families, staff, vendors and general public
· Basic understanding of environmental health and safety legislation, and the design, operation, and maintenance of building systems
Other Bona-fide Occupational Requirements
· Reliable transportation as this is a roving position and you will be required to visit multiple sites.
- A current and clear Criminal Records Check including the Vulnerable Sector search
· Physically and mentally fit to perform the duties of the position (may be required to lift, move, push, or pull objects weighing up to 75 pounds)
· Ability to work on his/her feet for a complete shift while constantly bending, stretching, walking, lifting or moving things.
· Able to climb ladders and/or work from heights.
· Physically capable of performing assigned duties within a flexible work schedule inside a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week operation
This job description indicates representative responsibilities and specifications of the position only and should not be considered to necessarily represent all responsibilities and specifications of the position. The incumbent may perform other duties as assigned, which are not specified in this description. A review and update of this job description will take place at the yearly performance review.
At Christenson Communities we make it our priority to foster inclusive work environments welcomed to diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to accommodating prospective employees. Please let us know how we can accommodate you in our hiring process.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- maintenance: 1 year (preferred)