Careers that change lives
Medtronic develops products and therapies that treat a wide range of cardiac and vascular diseases and conditions. These products include cardiac rhythm management devices, coronary, peripheral and stents, stent graft systems for the treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA). Medtronic CVG also markets a line of diagnostic device and patient monitoring systems and CVG related ancillary products.
A day in the life
- Responsible for planning, initiating, monitoring, tracking marketing projects and process improvement initiatives and facilitating successful, on-time and within budget execution.
- Initiatives may include developing and implementing launch plans, designing and implementing comprehensive product marketing plans, and lead strategic activities such as business plans, competitive plan development, pricing analysis, sales/revenue forecasting, analysis of distribution/channel issues, and inventory management.
- Sets clear direction and management objectives that aligns with defined practices and policies and enhances the organization's assessment of existing and potential markets and for the development of new and innovative solutions to meet customer needs.
- Interacts and works closely with other departments, such as but not limited to Sales and Strategy and Business Development to ensure marketing programs achieve Medtronic's short and long-term goals while remaining consistent with organization's overall mission.
- Directs day to day activities for multiple work-stream teams through managing project plans, resourcing, status reporting, resolving issues, identifying project risks and accountabilities for deliverables across multiple functional organizations.
- Establishes meaningful metrics and tracks against them.
- Responsible for project performance, risk management, administration, financial management, budgeting and issue resolution.
- Grow and support Medtronic’s Cardiac Surgery business across Canada including servicing the Solution; support CVG with specific Marketing initiatives
- Conduct sales calls to promote, and service Medtronic’s products and services, with a strong emphasis on Heart Valves, to existing and competitive customers.
- Partner with the CSH sales organization for coordination and the execution of targeting the right customers.
- To plan and coordinate the development and implementation of both tactical and strategic direction to maximize profitable growth of all products in Canada.
- Recommend pricing strategies, training of sales personnel (product specific only), market introductions, the development and implementation of all related marketing programs, develop promotional activities, budgeting for CVG business, and provide marketing support for clinical trials
- Planning - Develop annual operating plans for the CVG business ensuring long range plans are linked to fiscal performance goals.
- Analysis of the market, competition, environment, sales and marketing strategies and marketing expense budget.
- Review progress against AOP on quarterly basis and revise plans or institute corrective action as appropriate.
- Customer Relationships - Meet with customers to discuss market, products, trends or needs and obtain their input.
- Communicate with customers through publications or sales force; product changes, product problems and upcoming events.
- Address customer requests for Medtronic involvement or assistance in projects.
- Marketing Research & Sales Analysis - Initiate, manage and summarize market research and studies to determine customer beliefs.
- Test product ideas, support materials and determine competitive status
- Initiate and analyze account statistics to determine market trends and competitive status at the customer and national level.
- Advise management of market trends.
- Initiate and maintain a competitive product database of pricing, availability and product information
- Promotion - Develop promotional activities on a national, regional or local basis to be executed directly by the sales force or at medical conventions.
- Ensure proper sales support material are developed, obtained and distributed effectively, develop non sales force related promotional activities, while monitoring results and measuring against objectives and budgets
- Ensure appropriate packaging and labeling are developed and consistent with market needs and corporate policies.
- Budgeting – Prepare and manage the annual budget for the CVG business.
- Forecasting - Maintain a two year demand forecast reviewed monthly. These are revised to reflect market changes, product availability and sales input.
- Quarterly forecast input and plans for loaner and demo equipment.
- Distribution - develop a product inventory; allocate plans for product recalls and shortages, consignment and outdated product strategies.
- Pricing/ Warranties - Recommend overall pricing strategy and contract and rebate plans for the products in the CVG business
- Initiate pricing for products
- Communicate price changes to customers, sales force and support functions.
- Clinical - Working with business unit and Sales force to ensure clinical investigators selected maximize customer relationships and business while meeting clinical needs.
- Ensure regulatory requirements are met.
- Provide necessary marketing support for clinical trials.
- Responsible for reporting complaints and Adverse Drug Reactions (ADR).
- Business degree or Bachelor of Science in a related area
- Strong strategic marketing, analytical and planning skills including market development
- Strong product skills including: Analysis, segmentation, planning, roll out and monitoring.
- Plan and ensure implementation of product phase-outs and launches.
- Ability to identify most beneficial product mix in terms of patient care and revenue
- In depth knowledge of Canadian healthcare delivery and funding.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of PAA (patient access acceleration) and reimbursement.
Minimum 5 years relevant experience
Previous product launch or product line extension experience.
Managed a comprehensive product that has shown measurable success.
Experience in medical products or pharmaceutical sales.
Market research, new product development or clinical research experience.
- Willing to travel 30% + in North America
Comprehensive understanding of market
Comprehensive technical product knowledge
Good knowledge of competitors products and technology
Medtronic logistics and forecast systems
Understanding of business financial planning
Responsibility to influence and lead sales and marketing teams through strategic initiatives designed to grow business areas long term.
Ability to influence a team to deliver exceptional performance.
Ability to build solid business relationships with physicians
Ability to work with minimal supervision
Willing to improve marketing strategies with creativity and innovation.
Willing to compete for more senior and diverse roles.
Ability to maintain a highly visible role within the customer base.
Nice to have
- Master’s degree in business or other related area
Minimum 3years relevant experience
Bilingualism (English/French) both oral and written
Medtronic Canada strives through our vision to build a culture of inclusiveness through our commitment to employment equity and diversity. Discrimination is prohibited on any grounds protected under Canadian Human Rights legislation. Employment applications are encouraged from all members of our community. Upon request, candidates with disabilities will be accommodated during the recruitment process.