Smart & Biggar has been at the forefront of IP and technology law for over 100 years. We practice in every area of IP on behalf of an exceptional international clientele, and we are consistently ranked as Canada’s leading IP firm. We are committed to hiring people with different backgrounds and experience, who represent the best talent in their field.
Our Ottawa office is currently looking for a Legal Assistant to join our Ottawa Patent team. In this role you will be part of our administrative team providing operational support to our patent agents and lawyers.
Qualifications, competencies and experience:
- Manage patent files, monitor deadlines and due dates, prepare formal documents, and file patent applications
- Anticipate client needs and respond accordingly
- Responding to clients, Canadian Intellectual Property Office and other parties
- General administrative duties including creation of outgoing correspondence, entering billable time, preparation of invoices and record management
- Monitoring, prioritizing, and responding to deadlines, and other time sensitive matters
- Other duties may be assigned or amended as required
- Legal or Administrative Assistant Diploma or relevant experience
- 1-3 years of experience in a similar role
- Ability to meet strict deadlines under pressure while maintaining a positive attitude
- Excellent attention to detail, highly organized and proactive
- Strong focus and understanding of client relationships and exceptional client service
- Team player with the ability to work under pressure and take on additional responsibilities
- Proactively seeks information and guidance to ensure highest quality service and mitigate potential issues or risks
- Strong proficiency in MS Office and ability to learn new software and technology quickly
Located in the heart of downtown, close to transit and amenities, Smart & Biggar offers a comprehensive total rewards package including:
- A competitive compensation structure based on transparency, clarity and fairness
- A flexible benefits program
- Personal days to help balance personal and professional commitments
- Family friendly policies including a 35-hour workweek
- Employee referral program
Smart & Biggar is a proud member of the Law Firm Diversity and Inclusion Network (LFDIN), working to promote diversity and encourage a culture of inclusion in our firms and the broader legal profession. We welcome application from all qualified individuals. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Smart & Biggar is proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s 2019 Top Small and Medium Employers. Find out why!
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.