LOCATION: Monterey Seniors Village
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Resident Care Manager and/or designate, the Licensed Practical Nurse is a role model and team leader who coordinates the activities and duties of those who deliver direct resident care, as a member of the site healthcare team. The Licensed Practical Nurse performs duties in personal care and therapeutic services and monitors departmental activities in accordance with their scope of practice, established standards, regulations, policies and procedures to maximize resident focused care.
Include but not limited to;
1. Assess residents’ needs; plans, implements and evaluates resident care.
2. Ensures focused resident care is provided and resident rights are observed.
3. Liaises with physicians, community agency representatives, families, visitors and volunteers.
4. Performs a variety of nursing duties, including administering medications, collecting and reporting on urine specimens, glucose testing, changing dressings, respiratory therapy equipment, urinary/ catheter care, ostomy care, giving injections, taking and recording vital signs etc. to within full scope of practice, in accordance and within the limitations of the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA)..
5. Monitors and reports changes in physical and psychological conditions of residents and documents changes in the resident health record. Notifies family and physician of changes in condition.
6. Active participant in Interdisciplinary Care Conferences. Responsible for development of initial care plan and revisions as necessary. Implements and evaluates the effectiveness of plan of care.
7. Maintains all documents according to established standards, regulations, policies and procedures, ensuring confidentiality is maintained according to Facility policy.
8. Liaises with other disciplines and departments to ensure quality focused resident care.
9. Supervises and assists other care staff. Participates in orientation and ongoing education as required.
10. Assists residents with care, which includes activities of daily living, including bathing, dressing, feeding, elimination, hair and oral care.
11. Actively participates in facility programs, meetings, committees and educational in services.
12. Ensures equipment and supplies are stored and maintained according to policy and procedure and reports unsafe or faulty equipment to appropriate manager.
13. Maintains an up to date knowledge of facility policies and procedures, particularly those concerning the administration and recording of medications, safety and emergency procedures.
14. Encourages and adheres to a holistic philosophy of wellness, recognizing that each individual is capable of, to varying degrees, making decisions about his/her life and is a partner in the decision-making process.
15. Utilizes the site Registered Nurse as a resource for complex situations as per the attendant policy. Advises RN of any concerns related to HCAs delivery of care.
16. Handles day to day problems of residents requiring immediate attention and discusses unusual or complex problems with the site RN.
17. Performs other related duties as required.
1. Graduate of an approved program for Practical Nurses and holds a current License with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta.
2. Valid First Aid Certificate.
3. Must have CPR training and provide proof of the same.
4. Recent experience as a practicing LPN, in a long - term care setting that included the distribution of medications; 2 years’ experience preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing in the English language.
2. Good interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact with the various individuals involved in providing holistic care in a flexible resident focused environment.
3. Ability to operate related equipment.
4. Must be in good health and free from communicable diseases, physically able to perform repetitive tasks, lift, squat, bend, stand, push, pull and walking as required to perform the duties of the position.
5. Demonstrates knowledge of legislation governing the work and employment of health care aide.
6. Demonstrates an ability to work collaboratively & effectively with staff from all departments in meeting resident needs.
7. Assists in orientation of new staff.
8. Demonstrates hospitality by extending, greeting and offering assistance to visitors.
9. Demonstrates knowledge and use of resident’s Nurse Call System. Answers calls promptly.
10. Promotes a respectful workplace environment in word and action at all times.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $27.32-$34.20 per hour