ASSISTANT MANAGER - HR LEAD (and Master of Stoke)
Are you good at herding cats? What about doing two (or ten) things at once? Have you ever wanted to live in a mansion on the water with a zany cast of loveable characters who look to you for guidance, direction, and the fulfillment of their emotional needs? If so, WELCOME HOME!
We are the Squamish Adventure Inn and we want YOU to liven up the place. This is a Management position, but don’t worry, it’s not lonely at the top. You’ll be working with another Assistant Manager, the Housekeeping Manager and your Operations Manager Overlord to help make our hostel the best of the best.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU:
- Manage our Crew of 4-8 part-time adventurers/feral nomads, including:
- Monthly staff events and team-building
- Work the Hostel Supervisor shift, including:
- Doing your part to attack the neverending mountain of laundry we produce
- Regularly interacting with our AWESOME guests
- Take on the Acting Overlord position when said overlord is unavailable or on vacation
- Be on-call in the evenings (after your shifts) for emergencies
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Weekly hostel-family dinners and regular events/antics
- Dangerous proximity to the best ice cream in Squamish (Narwhals)
- A never-ending supply of new faces (our Crew changes every 10 weeks)
- Waterfront location in one of the best outdoor playgrounds in the world
- Compressed work week (yes, you will still have time to climb, kite, bike, kayak, ski, hike, mountaineer, spelunk, speed fly, slackline, you get the idea... and post all your pictures to instagram to make your friends REALLY jealous)
- We provide a cell phone plan (with Data!)
- FAM tours with local business and tour operators
- Complimentary stays at all HI Canada Hostels
- Room to Grow! At some point the Operations Manager is going to get tired and cranky and someone has to fill his shoes.
- Fluent English (speaking and writing). Extra languages are a bonus
- Experience (supervisory and customer service) - the more you have, the more we pay!
- Criminal Background Check
We pay our entire team by the hour, not salary, and there’s a very good reason for this. Big businesses love Salaried jobs because it allows them to give the Management team tons of overtime and not pay an extra dollar. We compensate our team for every hour worked, every time they’re called, and we don’t force our team to sit at work when there’s nothing to do because they have hours to punch. We want you to go adventuring.
Want to know our pay rate? Talk to us - the initial training pay is very different from the pay you receive as you gain experience and take on responsibilities. If we like ya, we show it in cash $$$
Your schedule will generally call for 10 hours per day, but in exchange you usually receive 3 days off per week (climb, bike, kite, ski, instagram… remember?). We also try to keep a consistent work schedule but at times the realities of running a hostel may require additional hours or days with short notice.
***Final note: If you are legally able to work in Canada and are seeking a PR (permanent residency), we can guarantee full time Manager-level work for the right applicant. We cannot assist in the VISA process for international applicants beyond providing a job offer for a hired person.
Application deadline: 2021-06-29
Expected start date: 2021-06-30
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $20.00-$24.00 per hour
- 10 hour shift
- On call
- Accommodation or HR: 1 year (required)