Position: Outreach and Engagement Coordinator (Halifax, NS)
The Ocean Tracking Network (OTN) is a rapidly growing international marine and freshwater monitoring platform that focuses on tracking the movements of aquatic animals in the context of ocean climate change. OTN is headquartered at Dalhousie University and has ties to international universities and research institutions.
Job purpose: We are searching for a talented and professional outreach and engagement coordinator to join our dynamic team at the Ocean Tracking Network. This position is a key part of the OTN communications department, and the duties will be diverse and multi-faceted; people skills, professionalism and creativity are essential for this role.
The successful candidate will facilitate and coordinate outreach and engagement opportunities to deliver organizational messages to OTN stakeholders (community events, science workshops, research conferences, presentations, field trips, etc.). The candidate will also create promotional materials, contribute to the development of the OTN digital platforms (web and social media), organize meetings and presentations, campaigns and projects, and develop effective outreach and engagement strategies. The candidate must possess superb written and verbal communication skills with a keen interest in connecting with OTN stakeholders.
This is a one-year grant paid position (likely to be renewed until 2023) and is funded by the Canada Foundation for Innovation. The outreach and engagement coordinator will report directly to the OTN communications manager.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Developing, coordinating and/or organizing multi-stakeholder and public outreach and engagement opportunities, campaigns and special projects;
- Maintaining and producing written and graphic content for the OTN websites, social media, and digital communications platforms to ensure all sites are up to date and appear both professional and on-brand;
- Producing communication and promotional materials (e.g. newsletters, news stories, fact sheets, event posters, and presentations, etc.);
- Writing, developing, and distributing promotional materials for reporters and journalists, science bloggers, other researchers, social media influencers about the programs, research and activities of OTN;
- Working with the OTN communications team to create updated strategic documents that align with OTN’s changing long-term goals (communications plan, social media plan, crisis communications plan, and other supporting documents);
- Filing photos, video clips and other multimedia for general OTN use;
- Handling press requests, press conferences, and developing strategies for liaising with the press as needed; and
- Assisting with other communications activities and tasks as needed.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in communications, marine biology, or a related field;
- A demonstrated passion for understanding and communicating ocean science and technology;
- A strong understanding of science communications, a strong, outgoing personality who works well in a group atmosphere;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, punctuality and reliability, creativity and problem solving;
- Exceptional editorial insight, attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work within tight and strict deadlines;
- Understanding and interest in science communication and sharing with OTN stakeholders;
- Ability to research, process, organize, and present information interestingly and convincingly, and prioritize work assignments and deliver by the appropriate deadlines;
- Demonstrated fluency in written English with exceptional grammar and punctuation skills;
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (photo editing, graphic layout and design), social (Twitter, Facebook) and digital media (Wordpress);
- Experience tracking, analyzing and reporting on web, social media and email performance analytics; and
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment
Application Deadline: February 28, 2020 by 4:00 pm
Interview Schedule: Week of March 9, 2020
Expected Start Date: April 6, 2020
Please include your resume, cover letter, two design samples, and two recent writing samples (feature articles preferred) in your application package.
Applications will be reviewed when received. Only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. Thank you!
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $50,000.00 /year