SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Support Service Manager, and/or Head Chef, the Cook is responsible for the daily preparation of meals from an assigned menu, ensures safe food handling methods are followed, maintenance of a safe & sanitary workplace, inventory control and supervision of staff.
Includes but not limited to:
- Responsible for the production of menu items including preparation of menu items as per the approved menus, production using standardized recipes and service ensuring standard department policies, procedures and safe food handling techniques are used at all times.
- Ensures the proper preparation, delivery and storage of food to ensure safety of residents, guests and the public. Performs regularly required audits and corrective action as necessary.
- Coordinates the work flow and provides direction to Food Service Workers related to the production, delivery and clean-up of meals for assigned area.
- Performs ordering and receiving of consumables items according to established purchasing procedures and policies. Maintains consumable inventory utilizing methods to minimize spoilage and waste.
- Practices and maintains cleanliness and sanitation according to required standards set by the Health Department and the Facility.
- Assists the Support Services Manager and/or Head Chef in organizational planning related to Food Services by providing input and participating in the implementation of menus, schedules and other initiatives to ensure a high standard of Food Services.
- Promotes and maintains positive communication and relationships among management, staff, residents, and the public.
- In the absence of the Support Services Manager and/or the Head Chef, is responsible with the other cooks on duty for the supervision of department production and service, staff, including direction of staff, interdepartmental communications, and emergencies.
- Other related duties as required.
- Grade 12; or equivalent.
- Any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Culinary or Apprenticeship program preferred.
- Minimum of 3-4 years culinary experience in hotels, restaurants or institutions required.
- Food Safe Certificate - Level 2 preferred.
- Serving it Right certification an asset.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with cooking, butchery, baking, kitchen equipment and machines.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Good working knowledge of accepted sanitation standards.
Skills and Abilities:
- An aptitude toward detail and creativity.
- Demonstrate good planning and organizational skills and ability to delegate.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position and operate related equipment.
- Ability to develop and maintain harmonious relationship with all levels of personnel and residents.
- Ability to work independently and follow instructions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to read and write the English language in order to function appropriately within a kitchen environment (recipes, food audits, etc.).
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at one time.
- Ability to demonstrate tact, diplomacy, empathy and patience when working with staff and residents.
- Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand recipes, measurements and portion sizes.
- Sufficient manual dexterity of and in order to use all kitchen equipment, i.e. knives, spoons, spatulas, tongs, slicers, etc.
- Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry 50 lbs repetitively.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $17.74 /hour
- culinary in hotels, restaraunts, institutions: 3 years (Preferred)
- Food Safe Level 1 or 2 (Preferred)
- Serving It Right (Preferred)