Manages the operations of infrastructure maintenance programs at various locations, by scheduling, assigning and coordinating the work of technical/trades staff and contractors.
- Manages the operations of infrastructure maintenance programs at various locations including but not limited to Operating Centres, SeaBus Terminals and bus loops/transit exchanges, by scheduling, assigning and coordinating the work of technical/trades staff and contractors (fire prevention, carpenters, electricians, plumbers, painters, sheet metal workers, maintenance mechanics, heating/ventilation/air conditioning technicians, overhead door technicians and general servicepersons) engaged in the construction, modification and maintenance of corporate buildings and equipment.
- Collaborates with manager and director to assist in translating the division’s goals into strategic plans for all areas of accountability, with emphasis on continuously streamlining operations, improving cost efficiency, budget and optimizing services.
- Plans, schedules, monitors work and assigns resources to preventive maintenance and project work. Receives and responds to daily calls for service and adjusts work priorities to respond to problems and urgent requests. Responds to off-hour emergency calls as required.
- Participates in the development and implementation of infrastructure maintenance policies, procedures and standards and safe working practices, in compliance with legislative guidelines, corporate policy and safety regulations. Inspects work performed to ensure standards are maintained and service requirements are met. Ensures that safe work practices are followed and that staff are aware of Work-Safe BC, WHMIS and other safety regulations.
- Reviews and recommends solutions to technical maintenance and repair problems by troubleshooting issues, gathering information, researching solution alternatives, discussing findings with the manufacturer and technical staff and conducting tests.
- Participates in developing the department’s budget and manages approved budget and expenditures. Prepares maintenance and repair reports and inventory documents. Prepares processes and approves work orders, purchase requisitions, and credit card purchases.
- Manages relationships with Unions, internal and external Stakeholders to proactively resolve issues.
- Manages staff including selection, training, development, coaching, and performance management and all people management practices. Provides recommendations for collective bargaining and represents the employer in the grievance process, where applicable.
Education and Experience
The competencies for this position would be acquired through a Red Seal Ticket in one of the building trades, plus courses in labour relations, conflict resolution, and supervisory techniques. Requires six (6) years previous experience, in multi-disciplined building maintenance or the construction industry, covering all aspects of repair, renovation, maintenance and construction of new and existing building and associated equipment. Includes supervisory experience with a multi-disciplined team in a unionized environment together with knowledge of the application of collective agreements, policies and procedures.
- Advanced knowledge of the principles, theories, concepts and practices of building maintenance.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills.
- Advanced planning and organizational skills
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills
- Solid teamwork and interpersonal skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Solid leadership skills to provide direction and manage reporting staff.
- Solid computer skills in standard office tools including word processing and spreadsheet software and use of web-based systems.
37.5 hours per week
Recruitment Process: An applicant will be required to demonstrate their suitability for this position by meeting the minimum level of qualifications and experience in order to be invited into the selection process. A standard interview format will be used including general, scenario and behavioural descriptive interview questions.
CMBC is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $86,769.00 to $108,462.00 /year
- Facilities Maintenance: 6 years (Preferred)