Schedule A – Job Description
Position: Veterinary Technician
Reports to: Technician Supervisor
Organizational Background: Canada West Veterinary Specialists is a 24/7 veterinary hospital. We are staffed 24/7. This position is primarily responsible for patient care including following treatment plans, administration of drugs, monitoring for vital signs and over-all patient assessment. Client communication is an integral part of this role and both communication and hands-on patient care is under the direct supervision of the Specialist and or the Hospitalist on the case. This position is a part of group of Veterinary Technicians working on a rotating schedule to cover all hours of the hospital’s operation.
The Position: This position is primarily responsible for patient care including following treatment plans, administration of drugs, monitoring for vital signs and over-all patient assessment. Client communication is an integral part of this role and both communication and hands-on patient care is under the direct supervision of the Specialist and or the Hospitalist on the case. This position is a part of group of Veterinary Technicians working on a rotating schedule to cover all hours of the hospital’s operation.
An ideal candidate would be available to work rotational shifts including weekends, nights, & overnights, have a can-do attitude and passion for animal care.
- We grow together with our monthly in-house Continuing Education presentations
- Subsidized extended health benefits
- 3 paid sick days per year
- Uniform allowance
- Wellness Spending account
- We believe in your well-being and provide a company sponsored Employee Assistance Program (EAP) enabling access to caring professionals that can help access support related to fitness, physical health and mental well-being programs.
- We provide employer paid Pet insurance to our employees.
- We believe in recognizing our staff with an anniversary recognition program.
- We have a profit-sharing program to recognize our staff’s contributions for our success.
- We have fun together with our hospital sponsored social events like; having Food Trucks visit us onsite, Halloween pumpkin carving contests, Annual Christmas Party, Pub Nights, etc.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must develop a thorough understanding of all common drugs/medications used, procedures and protocols within the Wards and ICU, as well as the ability to use all equipment safely and effectively
- Directly monitor, carry out treatments and procedures, ensure patient comfort and document care for patients so that accurate medical records are maintained and accurate invoicing can be done
- In addition to written records, ensures that pertinent information and observations relating to patient care is provided to the next shift during oral rounds.
- Carry out communication with; primary Doctor, Hospitalist regarding patient status updates, and alert of any changes or concerns. And Participate in communication with Clients.
- Calculates, dispenses and administers medications at the direction of the Specialist on the case.
- Perform technical nursing skills such as: IV catheter placement, blood collection, urine collection (cystocentesis, catheterization), taking radiographs, etc.
- Ensures supply inventory is sufficient to meet the demands of work area, and that that the work area is kept clean and organized.
- Ensures that all equipment is properly maintained documented and any concerns are reported.
- Responsible for coordinating breaks and delegating appropriate tasks to Patient Care Assistants on shift.
- Facilitate a positive work environment.
- Actively participates in all offered in house CE
- Performs other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Has a strong knowledge and understanding of normal vital parameters, and the ability to recognize changes and or abnormalities.
- A strong knowledge of asepsis
- Strong mathematics skills (drug dose calculations, CRI’s, dilutions)
- Excellent communication skills, computer and phone skills
- A strong desire to learn and to excel within the profession
- Ability to stay calm to recognize and establish priorities and execute patient triage at all times.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work with little or no supervision when necessary and ability to work as part of a team
- High level of professionalism
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate of an accredited program for Veterinary Technologists
- Registered Veterinary Technology designation preferred
- Demonstrated skills, experience and training that would qualify the individual for a position of responsibility
- Completed AHT Program
- Sedation and/or General Anesthesia experience preferred
- Completion of the Animal Health Technology Program
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Veterinary Technician: 1 year (Preferred)
- Sedation and/or General Anesthesia: 1 year (Preferred)