Who We Are
Ocado ( https://www.ocado.jobs/ ) is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions ( http://ocadosolutions.com/ ) division is responsible for providing Ocado's innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with Sobeys to help it redefine the grocery customer experience in Canada through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
As our Project Manager, Engineering and Automation, you will be leading the Mechanical Handling Equipment (MHE) delivery of our proprietary technology to Sobey's Customer Fulfillment Center's (CFC) in Montreal.
Day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Work with the business team to formulate the multi-million dollar capital installation budget of MHE hardware
- Deliver installation against agreed budget, within one year; formally present variations and mitigations to the business at regular intervals
- Present and summarize technical issues and commercial options to senior managers for escalations and decisions
- Plan, design and manage construction site; ensure Ocado construction safety on site
- Leadership and management of project stakeholders, suppliers, and a site presence up to 200 people for 14 months on a construction site; this role will be the most senior engineer on site
- Plan and schedule with multiple stakeholders and their dependencies (each consisting of 100's of lines), re-cut plans given last minute roadblocks to meet go-live dates; track or shadow clients plan and anticipate issues
- Develop a build plan for all phases of the project, concentrating on build-ability and access for all phases of the project
- Manage and specify the fabrication of a large number (1000's) of fabricated parts to a repeatable quality standard
- Define SSOW on construction site employing best of Ocado Engineering standards, needs of the Client/General Contractor, and to local regulations (e.g., working at height, isolation, etc)
- Responsible for MHE risk identification, mitigation and documentation, to include anticipating engineering challenges and the need to manage and consult mitigations/issues (e.g., prototypes, engineering compliance, etc)
- Install, commission and fault-find complex Mechanical Handling Equipment against challenging budgets, while delivering machines that operate correctly first time
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you should meet the following requirements:
- A Masters degree in Engineering or related field
- A minimum of 8 years' experience in managing complete, multi-million dollar projects
- Skilled in tendering and negotiating $10M+ incorporating high labor content, technical difficulty against a challenging budget target
- Ability to understand and work with legal teams on AIA legal construction standard, utilizing legal tools to mitigate risk (e.g., bonds, damages, payment terms)
- Experienced in Construction Site Management for a minimum of 200 people
- Ability to negotiate with local authority to get sign off or convert UK spec machine to US compliant machine
- Understanding of national/local legislation for construction/engineering compliance
- Proficient knowledge of safety requirements
- Proficient with Microsoft Project or Primavera 6
- Knowledge of Controls and Automation (Design, Install, Commission)
Preferred (in addition to minimum)
- PMP or Equivalent
- Functional Safety Qualification (e.g., TUV Certified Professional)
- Qualified to risk assess, permit, isolate and lock off low voltage electrical equipment (ideally authorized to practice in state)
- Competency of lifting operations, including contract lifts, banks man, and slinging
- Competency of working at height and confined areas (e.g., ability to write recovery plans, managing work near open edges, etc)
- Ability to navigate common drawing packages (e.g., Autocad, Revit, Google SketchUp, EPlan + Solidworks etc)
- Ability to negotiate legal trade contracts with Legal team and suppliers using American Institute of Architects standard contract
- Ability to develop a quality plan with high volume Fabricators managing accountability and stage gate sign off (e.g., right first time, batch tracking, certificate of conformance, escalation plan)
This position will be full time on site at our fulfillment center in Montreal, QB, following approximately 4 months of training in Toronto, ON.
For a sense of who we are and what we deliver we invite you to explore online to learn more about Ocado Technology and Ocado Engineering, which directly support the Ocado Solutions division, and take the next step in what will be an amazing career with us
Learn about our partnership with Sobeys:
- Ocado seals new international tie-up with Sobeys in Canada ( https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ocado-group-sobeys-deals/ocado-seals-new-international-tie-up-with-sobeys-in-canada-idUSKBN1FB0QF )
- A sneak peek at the future of grocery automation in Canada ( http://www.canadiangrocer.com/top-stories/a-sneak-peak-at-the-future-of-grocery-automation-in-canada-81673 )
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKrcpa8Z_E )
Applicants must be fluent in English. Please submit resumes in English for consideration.