ADDICTION COUNSELLOR I
RESIDENTIAL WITHDRAWAL MANAGEMENT
PINEWOOD ADDICTION SUPPORT SERVICES
TEMPORARY PART TIME
DAYS/EVENINGS/NIGHTS/WEEKENDS/ ON-CALL;4/8/ 12 Hour Shifts (Subject to Change)
Pinewood Centre is part of the Mental Health and Addictions Program, providing a range of services to substance users, problem gamblers and family members in Durham Region. Under the direction of the Clinical Coordinator, this position will support the clinical functions of the 300 Centre Street location and be in support of the program's vision, mission and values and identified strategic goals. The current position supports two clinical teams, Pinewood's Walk-In Support Services and Residential Withdrawal Management Services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Providing information, supportive counselling and/or crisis intervention to clients on a walk-in or telephone call-in basis, within a team based environment;
- Providing motivational counselling and/or referral to those clients in need of withdrawal management, early recovery services and Rapid Access Addiction Medicine Services;
- Providing short-term, individual counselling to those clients presenting with barriers to treatment;
- Knowledge of current opioid issues including risks, overdose prevention and opioid replacement therapy.
- Providing group counselling specific to the development of life skills, relapse prevention and problem solving;
- Assessing clients presenting with suicidal ideation to match them with the most appropriate referral source and advocating on their behalf when necessary;
- Collaborating with Addiction Counsellors and other Professionals within the Pinewood and Mental Health Program as required.
- Assessing clients for need of medical clearance prior to their admission to RWMS and for emergency assistance;
- Ability to liaise with emergency medical and mental health services; pharmacies to coordinate client needs;
- Maintaining close observation and documentation of withdrawal symptoms, physical and emotional health status within a team based environment;
- Providing Community Withdrawal Management Services;
- Providing discharge planning to RWMS clients that you are charting on during times when the Discharge Planner is not available;
- Contribute to clinical meetings, safety issues and workgroups
- Being committed to ongoing professional development and clinical supervision
- Being conscientious and compliant when Personal Protective Equipment is required;
- Entering required data on computer programs;
- Compliance with Mental Health and Addiction standards and corporate policies of Lakeridge Health;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Community College diploma in Social Sciences and registration with Professional College, as regulated;
- Thorough working knowledge of withdrawal management protocols, models of addiction, concurrent disorders, motivational interviewing, pharmacology, risk and harm reduction, community withdrawal management;
- Direct, proven experience in crisis intervention, suicide assessment and intervention techniques;
- Demonstrated experience with substance use populations;
- Well-developed counselling skills in both individual and group formats;
- Effective interpersonal, communication and organizational skills;
- Ability to work closely with others in a team environment, under clinically challenging situations
- Confidence and experience in applying counselling principles to practice;
- Ability to recognize and diffuse escalating or potentially violent clients;
- Knowledge of community resources and provincial addiction system;
- Commitment to client centered philosophy of care;
- Ability/willingness to use computer program catalyst and LEADS;
- demonstrated understanding of and commitment to Lakeridge Health's comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff safety, patient safety and environmental safety and participation in regular in-service education sessions in this area;
- Demonstrated commitment to our core values of Inclusion, Compassion, Innovation, Teamwork and Joy;
- Proven good work performance; and,
- Proven good attendance record with ability to maintain the same.
$26.41- $31.43 per hour
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This position is open to all qualified OPSEU staff throughout Lakeridge Health.
The terms and conditions of employment are in accordance with the Collective Agreement between the Hospital and OPSEU.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the recruitment and assessment process as required under Lakeridge Health's Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.