Job Number: 80019
Primary Location: Ontario-Hamilton
This position will be located at: Juravinski Hospital
Organization: JCC ONCOL PRGMS
Status: Temporary Part-time
Hours per week: 18.75
Number of Openings: 1
Union Code: CUPE 7800
Minimum Salary: 30.0553 Hourly
Maximum Salary: 30.6687
Post Date: Jan 16, 2020, 5:00:00 AM
Close Date (Period for Applying) - External: Jan 23, 2020, 4:59:00 AM
Ward C3 is an active inpatient oncology and medical gastrointestinal unit providing a continuum of care for adults with solid tumor malignancies and digestive diseases. The unit is comprised of diverse services including: surgical (Gynecologic & Orthopedic), medical, systemic and local oncology treatment, and palliative oncology. The goals of therapy are cure, control or palliation. Patients are often admitted for management of complex issues such as oncologic emergencies and symptom control.
The goals of therapy are cure, control or palliation. Patients are often admitted for management of complex issues such as symptom control, pain management and oncologic emergencies. As a member of the healthcare team, the Registered Practical Nurse assesses and evaluates patient care and provides nursing care according to the job description and Standards of Practice for Registered Practical Nurses on Ward C3.
Schedule Work Hours
Days, Nights, Weekends and Holidays
This position is temporary until May 2021.
1. Current Certificate of Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Practical Nurse or eligible for temporary registration
2. Current Certificates or current community college studies in oncology, asepsis, wound care, airway management, complex wound care, ostomy management, patient assessment, urinary catheterization, administering enteral feeds, transcribing orders
3. Documented completion of a recognized IV Administration, Venipuncture and Blood and Blood Product Administration course Experience working with central lines would be considered an asset
4. Current BCLS certification
5. Recent (within the last 2 years) experience in the care of oncology patients and patients with digestive diseases
6. Demonstrated knowledge of the current assessment and management of a broad range of oncology patients including surgical, chemotherapy, radiation and palliative care patients
7. Demonstrated willingness and ability to work safely with biohazardous byproducts
8. Demonstrated ability to function in an environment which is fast-paced, , collaborating with the RN
9. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with patients, families and other members of the healthcare team
10. Ability to set priorities and organize work in response to patient needs
11. Demonstrated ability to support patients and families of patients who are terminally ill through death and dying
Hamilton Health Sciences fosters a culture of patient and staff safety, whereby all employees are guided by our Mission, Vision, Values, and Values Based Code of Conduct. Hamilton Health Sciences is a teaching hospital and all staff and physicians are expected to support students and other learners.
To be considered for this opportunity applicants must apply during the posting period. All internal and external applicants may ONLY apply via the Careers website.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate any needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application processes, please contact HR Services at 905-521-2100, Ext. 46947 for assistance. If the applicant requires a specific accommodation because of a disability during an interview, the applicant will need to advise the hiring manager when scheduling the interview and the appropriate accommodations can be made.
This competition is open to all qualified applicants, however, qualified internal applicants will be considered first. Past performance will be considered as part of the selection process. If you are a previous employee of Hamilton Health Sciences, please note: the circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment
Proficiency in both Official Languages, French and English, is considered an asset
If this position is temporary, selection for this position will be as per the outlined Collective Agreements:
Article 30 (k), CUPE Collective Agreement
Article 10.7 (d), ONA Collective Agreement
Article 13.01 (b) (ii), OPSEU 273 Collective Agreement
Article 14.04, OPSEU 209 Collective Agreement
Article 2.07 and Article 13, PIPSC RT Collective Agreement