Vice President & Chief Financial Officer – Henderson Brewing Company
Located at 128a Sterling Road in the Lower Junction, Toronto
Become part of a growing and dynamic company in the heart of the city.
Henderson Brewing Company is located in the west end of Toronto. We combine great beer with great stories about Toronto and our community, and believe in making innovative and approachable beers that reflect the stories and culture of our great city. Our beers are available in the LCBO, Loblaws, The Beer Store & some of the best bars & restaurants across Ontario, including our on premises Tap Room and our unique Digital channels, including an unrivalled home delivery service.
Reporting to our General Manager and working alongside our VP of Sales, you’ll be based at the brewery or our secondary site, and we embrace flexible work arrangements and working remotely from home is possible for up to two-thirds of the time.
Who You Are:
A self-starter, a team player and most importantly a leader with entrepreneurial mind-set. Someone who wants to be part of something special and is not afraid to get their hands dirty, while at the same time looking at the big picture. You have an accounting and finance background, ideally with a university degree in commerce and a CPA (CA) designation. Candidates with VP Finance, Controller or Chief Financial Officer experience without a CPA (CA) may be considered, if their skills and experience qualify them for the role.
You are detailed oriented with excellent management, communication and origination skills. You must have exceptional computer skills, specifically with spreadsheets, downloading data and formatting the data for input into Quickbooks Online, and various Brewery Management Systems and Point of Sale Software applications (all web based). Experience with eKOS, QuickBooks Online, Fathom to track business performance, Silverware, Clover, Shopify, Door Dash, Skip the Dishes and other eCommerce platforms is a distinct advantage.
You are a problem-solver and multi-tasker who recognizes that working with a small business requires adapting to changes from one day to the next. You thrive in a fast-paced and high-volume environment.
- Coaching, mentoring, managing & supervision of:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist as a direct report,
- Business Manager as a direct report, and
- indirectly Orders Desk, Tap Room, Sales and Production staff as it relates to data input, reference and master data management within the core brewery software, for example eKOS, QuickBooks Online, Fathom, Silverware, Clover, Shopify, Door Dash, Skip the Dishes etc.
- Oversight and Management of end-to-end Accounting Operations:
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements
- Manage & oversee all finance and accounting operations including Ordering, Billing, A/R, A/P, GL, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting and Revenue Recognition
- Lead the month-end and year-end close process, including Activity Based Costing, Allocations and Cost Attribution amongst all Sales Channels (Cost Centres / CLASSES)
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Work directly with senior management to ensure company goals and objectives are established and met
- Support and coordinate audits, as necessary
- Additional accounting duties as necessary
- Lead and manage Internal Financial and Performance Measurement Reporting:
- Create and manage all sales reports, analysis and “what-if” scenarios required by management
- Create other key reports for management on a weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis, such as but not limited to:
- Product Profitability Analysis
- Cost Centre / CLASS Profitability Analysis
- Collaboration Profitability Analysis and Joint Venture Reporting with various partners
- Create reports to assist in investment decisions and internal capital project planning
- Develop and maintain Cash Flow Model to adequately forecast cash inflow and outflows to management the capital structure of the brewery (Debt and Equity)
- Develop and maintain effective stewardship of Reference and Master Data in core brewery management systems, specifically eKOS, QuickBooks Online and Silverware.
- Develop and maintain internal control techniques to detect data input errors in, for example eKOS, QuickBooks Online, Fathom, Silverware, Clover, Shopify, Door Dash, Skip the Dishes and to detect errors in a timely fashion such that the root cause can be detected and corrected to at all times ensure that the brewery data is accurate and can be relied up for management decision making
- Manage and oversee Board, Shareholder & Governance:
- Manage the external Accountants preparation of the Annual Notice to Reader
- Liaise with Board Chair to schedule Board Meetings and to develop the Quarterly Board Agenda
- Prepare Quarterly Board Packages
- Manage Shareholders communications, inquiries and maintain shareholders register in consultation with our lawyers and to act as the Corporate Secretary
- Attend Board Meetings as Corporate Secretary and to maintain adequate minutes
- Act as scrutineer at AGM, which fulfilling Corporate Secretary duties
- Liaise with Board Chair to schedule Annual General Meeting (AGM) and to develop the prepare AGM package, including circulation to Shareholders
- Prepare shareholder e-mails for management and Board review
- Implement procedures to ensure struct compliance and oversight of all conditions contained within the amended shareholders agreement dated November 7, 2019
- Lead, manage and review Government, Regulatory and Tax Authority activities, including filings:
- Prepare / oversee all government filings (Payroll, HST, Corporate Tax, etc) and payments, including SRED or any other claims or grants, in addition to reviewing the Corporate Tax return prepared by external Accountants
- Review and assist with Provincial (ON Beer Tax) and Federal (Beer Excise tax) reporting requirements, filings and payments
- Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting, complying with local, Provincial and Federal Government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Work closely with government auditors when the business gets chosen for regular audits
- Lead, manage and oversee all Finance activities including, but not limited to:
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget, financial forecasts and report variances
- Maintain and update the forecast model for the company
- Liaise with the company’s Bankers, Lenders, Landlords and Insurers by acting as the primary contact for the brewery
- Prepare documentation for Banks & Lenders, as needed, for existing debt or when applying for new debt
- Adequately plan for and manage any subsequent equity capital raise
- Evaluate and lead any merger or acquisition activity, including evaluating and leading any possible sale of parts of, or the entire business
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Ideally: 2+ years of experience as a CFO or CFO equivalent (Head of Finance or as a Controller for a medium sized commercial business) with a CPA (CA) qualification
- Will strongly consider: a qualified CPA (CA) that has worked for a Public Accounting Firm, and is looking to parlay those skills into being on the “client” side of the table
- Will consider exceptional candidates: who have been the #2 to a CFO and are ready for a promotion, may also apply if they can demonstrate the commensurate experience to step up into the CFO role
- Qualifications: Post-secondary degree (business, mathematics, or something related)
- Computer Skills: Advanced knowledge of Google Sheets / Microsoft Excel / Mac OS Numbers, or any modern spreadsheeting application; advanced skills is a definite advantage, so candidates with intermediate skills need not apply
- Teamwork: Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Leadership: a natural leader who team members gravitate towards for advice, mentoring and coaching and does not intimidate when explaining by ensuring complex topics can be broken down into easily understandable components
- Problem Solving, Creativity and Vision: As we continue to grow and continue to launch areas of the business the CFO must demonstrate visionary thought and innovativeness to round out the strong management team
- Highly detailed person who can adapt to changing priorities, and at the same time can elevate to look at the big picture
- Relevant experience in the alcohol beverage industry is a significant asset.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance.
- Accounting designation: CPA(CA) is preferred although CPA (CMA) and CPA (CGA) will be considered if the candidate is exceptional
- Working for one of Toronto’s fastest growing breweries
- Employee Stock Option Plan eligibility
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan
- Cell Phone and Home Internet Allowance
- Flexible Working environment (at the Brewery, our secondary location in Mississauga and working remotely from home is possible for up to two-thirds of the time)
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $85,000.00 to $120,000.00 /year
- Casual Dress
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Extended Health Care
- Flexible Schedule
- On-site Parking
- Work From Home
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)