Headstart Program Supervisor
We are currently looking for a professional to fill the role of Headstart Program Supervisor for our organization. This is an exciting opportunity to have a positive impact on the everyday lives of a First Nation community. Gitsegukla is located on Highway 16, approximately 40 km southwest of Hazelton, BC, and 100kms East of Terrace, BC.
Key Accountabilities and Scope:
Reporting to the Education Manager, the Headstart Program Supervisor is responsible for the operation of Health Canada’s Aboriginal Head Start (AHS) program in the Gitsegukla Community, in accordance licensing regulations and with provincial Family Child Care Program Standards.
Overseas any problems or technical difficulties regarding the Head start building, staffing etc.
General areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinates and supports the Aboriginal Head Start (AHS) program in Gitsegukla and ensures program is run accordingly to Licensing regulations
- Promotes programs to reflect first nations culture and language, with a local focus
- Evaluates program activities and seeks improvement opportunities, within program guidelines
- Upholds the values and objectives of the community
- Promotes the use of learning centers
- Plans special events nights and special guests/ speakers
Finance and Administration
- Ensures all staff and children’s files are complete and filed
- Provides recommendations for the purchase of equipment and material for the Headstart program to the Education Manager
- Maintains organizational structure and creates and maintains policy and procedure manuals for the operation of the program
- Works within established budgets
- Provides input into budgeted needs for the program to the Education Manager
- Identifies and apply for grants to support program activities
- Co-ordinates and supervises program staff in accordance with Gitsegukla Band standards and performance expectations
- Identifies professional development learning activities for the Headstart staff
- Reports monthly to the Gitsegukla Education Manager about the program’s progress
- Provides reports as required: staff evaluation, staff warning letters, status of program development, staff meetings, attendance of staff, community involvement, review evaluations/recommendations of children who require extra support, program budget, and emergency evacuation forms
- Manages program budget and reports monthly expenses to Education Manager
- Develops and distributes a monthly newsletter
- Fosters positive and constructive communication with parents, staff, and external stakeholders (e.g. inspectors, child specialists)
- Enhances and maintains parent relations
- Works with parents/staff to relieve any parental concerns
Performs other duties and responsibilities as necessary in the performance of the position and as assigned by the Education Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with Community Care Facility Act, Child Care Licensing Act and Aboriginal Head Start Program requirements
- Excellent advocacy and conflict resolution skills.
- Computer skills, including the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook Express
- Ability to work within a budget
- Skilled in the use of a variety of child teaching and reinforcement techniques
- Keen child observation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a team setting with co-workers and a variety of child specialists
Experience and Educational Requirements:
- Valid Early Childhood Educator Certificate.
- Valid Child Safe First Aid Certificate, or equivalent
- 2 + years ECE work experience in a private or community childcare setting
- 2+ years of experience managing staff and working with a budget
- Professional appearance
- Must review and follow al Gitsegukla Policies and Procedures
- Ability to successfully and periodically undergo an appropriate criminal records review and police record check is required
The deadline to provide your application is Monday, August 5, 2019.
Please note only candidates considered for the interview process will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time