About Queen's University
Queen’s University is the Canadian research intensive university with a transformative student learning experience. Here the employment experience is as diverse as it is interesting. We have opportunities in multiple areas of globally recognized research, faculty administration, engineering & construction, athletics & recreation, power generation, corporate shared services, and many more.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from individuals from equity seeking groups such as women, racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples, persons with a disability, persons who identify in the LGBTQ+ community and others who reflect the diversity of Canadian society.
Come work with us!
Reporting to the Manager, Recruitment and Admissions, the Recruitment and Admissions Coordinator supports the daily administrative, operational, event planning, electronic file management and program functions for the Faculty of Law Recruitment and Admissions Office. The incumbent also provides administrative, technical and event support for recruitment and outreach activities. The Recruitment and Admissions Coordinator is an integral member of the Admissions and Recruitment team and serves as a contact for both prospective and current students in matters related to recruitment and admissions. The incumbent participates in the development and execution of strategic plans in relation to recruitment strategy, admissions and outreach. This role involves knowledge and expertise in marketing and recruitment and the ability to assist with design of promotional materials. In addition to marketing experience, the role requires the sophisticated use of computer hardware, document imaging, and software applications to advance best practices in document and data administration, quality, security and retention.
The schedule for this position requires the incumbent to work evenings and weekends during periods of recruitment events for the Admissions Office, with occasional travel also required.
- Assist with the planning, scheduling, logistics and delivery of recruitment and outreach events and information sessions on campus, across Canada and virtual recruitment activities to target recruitment markets.
- Work closely with the Manager, Admissions and Recruitment and the Assistant Dean of Students to implement the strategic plan.
- Work closely with the Manager, Admissions and Recruitment, to implement a strategic admissions review policy and practices, encompassing the Faculty’s holistic approach to admissions and its longstanding commitment to access and equity.
- Support the successful execution of initiatives and events for recruitment of undergraduate students to meet short and long-term recruitment targets, including recruitment of under-represented equity-seeking groups and international students.
- Provide input into strategic direction on communications and information presentations for recruitment purposes.
- Support the admission file review process by evaluating applications in accordance with admission policy and summarizing applications, and making recommendations to accept, defer and reject.
- Process admissions decisions into the PeopleSoft system; prepare and send formal notices to applicants and other correspondence related to event planning.
- Act as the primary advisor to prospective and incoming students about admission qualifications, program details and financial assistance to Faculty programs, operating in both conventional communications and social media channels.
- Provide guidance as needed to student employees and volunteers, and updates to the Manager, Recruitment and Admissions, with respect to work direction and technical/functional instructions. Schedule and assigns work, and oversee its completion.
- Review assignments and provide feedback on work to employees and student volunteers.
- Coordinate the implementation of the electronic documents and records system (EDRMS); develop or configure document management system features such as user interfaces, access profiles, and document workflow procedures.
- Prepare support documentation and training materials for end users of the electronic documents and records management systems.
- Operate data capture technology to import digitized documents (e.g., transcripts, notes) into the EDRMS; complete quality assurance review of scanned images, ensuring their accuracy, clarity and integrity.
- Maintain digitized documents, adhering to the Faculty/University document lifecycle procedures and archive inactive records in accordance with the records retention schedule and protocols.
- Coordinate retrieval of admissions and applicant response data through Ontario Law Students Application Service (OLSAS) and the integration to PeopleSoft system and the EDRMS; troubleshoot problems in data transmission.
- Develop queries and reports from administrative databases and PeopleSoft. Produce ranked applicant lists on several variables; track admission and scholarship offers and response activity, including deferrals.
- Conduct tours of the Faculty of Law, as needed, for prospective candidates and incoming students.
- Propose and facilitate improvements to policy or processes, including the automation of manual processes to increase organizational effectiveness.
- Work with the Manager, Admissions and Recruitment in consultation with the Director of Marketing and Research to design and develop recruitment and outreach materials including print and electronic publications.
- Create and edit text and visual content for the external Law website and internal student portal on matters pertinent to prospective and current law students as well as alumni.
- Assist with updates to the academic calendar, internal and external communications (electronic and print) for prospective and current law students, and updates of communications and publications for external audiences and entities, such as the OLSAS application, LSAC Guide to Canadian Law Schools and Princeton Review.
- Propose, prepare and administer surveys; collect and analyze data to prepare reports of student feedback, progress in execution of the Faculty of Law recruitment and outreach strategies.
- Participate in the planning and execution of social media initiatives for recruitment and outreach purposes, and recommends improvements to processes and content.
- Monitor relevant social networking tools and websites and reports results to senior management.
- Provide technical support, including web imaging and photography to promote admissions, recruitment and outreach efforts of the Faculty.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University degree required. A degree related to business, marketing, or education is considered an asset.
- Five years of relevant work experience, preferably in an academic environment.
- Strong software skills, especially MSOffice (ACCESS, EXCEL and WORD); demonstrated expertise in database management, queries, reporting and analysis; experience with maintenance of web applications and interfaces. Experience with the PeopleSoft system is an asset.
- High degree of proficiency with website content creation, management and design, photography, photo-editing and preparation of publications.
- Valid Province of Ontario Class G driver’s license.
- Experience with event planning, coordination and delivery.
- Familiarity with admissions policies and procedures in the context of legal education would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the legal profession and of legal education would be an asset.
- Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, combined with strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to interact professionally and in a culturally sensitive way with a diverse applicant pool, students, staff, faculty, alumni, legal employers, law society representatives, visitors and the public.
- Awareness of, and sensitivity to, equity issues.
- Ability to prepare and deliver effective informational presentations.
- Tact and the ability to maintain privacy of applicant and student information.
- Ability to work well individually and in teams and to build/nurture strong relationships with students, among staff, senior administration, and the applicant population.
- Service-oriented attitude and ability to maintain composure in challenging situations.
- Ability to think creatively about promotional material and events and make recommendations for increasing prospective and current student engagement.
- Ability to identify opportunities to align and coordinate initiatives with similar objectives, manage logistics and execute events to deadline, ability to multi-task and manage priorities to meet timelines, and enrolment targets.
- Able to work independently to organize, plan, and self-initiate both short and long term goals.
- Strong computer and office skills.
- Professional and respectful of student confidentiality issues.
- Excellent analytical, planning and organizational skills.
- Advanced scheduling and problem-solving skills to assist in finding best solutions; creativity and initiative to develop and incorporate new ideas and innovative approaches to achieve objectives.
- Provide advice to current and prospective students, determining appropriate responses to enquiries, referring only the most unusual matters to more senior staff.
- Determine whether information requires further action; exercises good judgment regarding the application of admissions policies and guidelines, resolving problems when possible and referring only highly sensitive, or complex matters to others.
- Make decisions to ensure the safe, secure custody of personal information, adhering to Faculty and University policies with respect to the confidentiality and privacy of personal information.
- Determine appropriate methods to use in evaluating data and preparation of reports.
- Prioritize own work to meet objectives and deadlines.
- Determine if digitized documentation meets quality assurance protocols and recommends remedial action as needed.
- Make suggestions regarding changes to procedures and/or processes to increase efficiency and improve operations.
- Determine technical needs to support marketing materials for recruitment and outreach activities.
- Establish project plans and identify actions required to achieve completion.
- Determine work plan and establishes travel budget to fiscally support travel schedule.
- Decide when to refer a matter to the Manager, Recruitment and Admissions or to others with the Faculty of Law.
- Supervise student volunteers and makes decisions on best ways to deploy volunteers to assist with recruitment and outreach activities.
Employment Equity and Accessibility Statement
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources at email@example.com .