Position Title: Cook
Reports to: General Manager, Co-op or Hotel Manager
Locations: Rankin Inlet and Whale Cove, NU
This position requires (temporary) relocation to Rankin Inlet and Whale Cove in Nunavut.
These roles are offered at a contract level (6 months) and the compensation package varies upon property, size of operation and volume of the hotel. The positions are paid per hour (hourly would include a meal plan). There is subsidized housing (either in hotel or staff housing). There is also a travel allowance provided (up to $400).
The community owned Co-operatives in the Arctic are multi-purpose businesses that provide a wide range of services to their members and their communities. Services provided by local Co-ops include hotel and tourism operations within "Inns North" Hotels. Hotels can vary from a small hotel (4-6 rooms) to a larger hotel operation (40+ rooms). Some restaurants are for hotel guests only, while others are open to the public.
The Cook is responsible for assisting in the supervision of the day-to-day operations of the restaurant under general supervision of the Co-operative General Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To assist in food preparation with the objective of ensuring an acceptable level of standard;
- To maintain good and regular communication with the General Manager, and with the staff;
- To maintain good housekeeping routine to insure the kitchen and dining room is kept in an acceptable level of cleanliness;
- To complete spot checks of inventory in the kitchen and dining room on a daily basis;
- To complete spot checks of the kitchen and dining room on a weekly basis and to report any problems to the General Manager;
- To assist in the preparation of the monthly menu and cost out all meal items to insure proper margin is being maintained;
- To perform other duties as required for the proper management of the kitchen and dining room.
- 3-5 years experience in the food industry and/or__
- Formal educational experience including a Cook Level I or Journeymen's certificate;
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment;
- Extended hours of work, including 50-60 hours per week are not unusual in a hotel operation;
- Access to medical facilities is limited with many locations only having a nurse’s station.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 6 months
Salary: $18.50-$20.50 per hour
Supplemental pay types:
- cooking: 1 year (preferred)
- Food Safe, SafeCheck, Food Handler or equivalent (preferred)