This temporary full-time (35 hours per week) position is available for the period of October 1, 2019 – May 29, 2020. Regular hours of work are Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. No flexible or modified schedule available.
Occasional work arrangements at our Coquitlam campus will be required, as will occasional evening and/or weekend work.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.
Human Resources Coordinator provides coordination support to the Human Resources Department in a range of functions, primarily focusing on Employee Services, Staffing and Recruitment. The HR Coordinator assists the HR Advisors and HR Associates in various recruitment, staffing and retention initiatives to ensure that staffing and onboarding needs at the college are being met effectively and efficiently. In addition, the HR Coordinator is responsible for communicating and tracking compliance with policies and procedures pertinent to services provided by the Human Resources Department.
1. Provides service and information to employees, with respect to the functions of the Human Resources Department.
a. Answers enquiries from employees with respect to current and prospective employment at the college, and refers complex matters to the HR Operations Supervisor or HR Manager, Operations and Recruitment as required.
b. Explains to new and existing employees topics such as benefit entitlement, HR policies and procedures, and Occupational Health and Safety orientation.
c. Coordinates the onboarding process for new employees at the college, including setting up system access, enrollment in benefits, photo I.D.’s, and parking privileges in accordance with established guidelines.
d. Ensures employment related documentation is organized, accurate, and timely and follows established practices.
e. Provides employment status verification to external agencies.
2. Ensures a variety of benefit tasks are processed in a timely manner, including enrollments, changes, claims, statement reconciliations, and benefit related payroll changes.
a. Determines eligibility for benefits, inputs employee information into the HRIS (Banner), and enrolls employees with external agencies such as Medical Service Plan, Parking Corporation and Pension Corporation.
b. Coordinates with Payroll to ensure necessary documentation and deadlines are met.
c. Tracks benefit claims and identifies, troubleshoots and reconciles issues in accordance with established practices. Refers unusual situations to the HR Operations Supervisor
d. Generates and formats reports, with regards to benefits and eligibility.
e. Assists with the processing and administration of disability claims, return to work and rehabilitation issues.
3. Ensures employment contracts are processed in a timely manner.
a. Determines the type of contract (Contract Faculty Appointments, Continuing Education, Contract to Purchase Service, Accounts Payable and Community Music School contracts) to set up and process the employee. Reviews the contract to ensure it is filled out accurately and completely.
b. Initiates contact with new hires to ensure receipt of required new employee paperwork.
c. Inputs employee information in Banner and ensures documentation is sent to Payroll in a timely manner keeping pay deadlines in mind.
4. Maintains records related to a variety of Human Resources functions.
a. Produces and processes a variety of electronic reports, such as parking, employee ID, address updates etc. from Banner and other sources. Distributes as required.
b. Compiles, codes and scans relevant documents to electronic employee files by following established procedures to ensure consistency and data integrity of the scanning process.
c. Archives and retrieves files from storage on or off site.
5. Participates in recruitment processes and assists in organizing and coordinating recruitment events and initiatives.
a. Coordinates and assists with recruitment and other HR events such as career fairs, weekly on-campus onboarding presentations, New Employee Welcome events and training presentations.
b. Tracks and manages inventory of supplies for recruitment events.
c. Collaborates with the Marketing and Communications Office, CEIT, Facilities and other departments to coordinate employer branding, career advertising and recruitment event assistance.
6. Administers the onboard system, applicant tracking system, testing software, Banner, and other recruitment and staffing related software and platforms.
a. Posts, processes and closes career opportunity postings in a timely manner.
b. Determines the level of access to provide selection committee members and provides training if required.
c. Administers and troubleshoots the onboard system, applicant tracking system and other recruitment-related software applications. Provides direction and assistance to applicants and users (hiring managers, deans, directors, associate deans, staff supervisors).
d. Troubleshoots and communicates with the representatives of the onboard and applicant tracking systems. Refers matters to HR Operations Supervisor or HR Manager, Operations and Recruitment as required.
e. Coordinates skills testing for College employees and external applicants by scheduling and administering testing sessions and documenting and reporting results.
f. Provides information on testing procedures and protocols and follows up on and/or refers issues as appropriate.
7. Provides recruitment, staffing, logistical and administrative support.
a. Ensures selection records are complete in the applicant tracking system.
b. Assists in the research and investigation of potential recruitment sources for various positions.
c. May assist in employment and educational verifications as directed.
d. Tracks and follows-up on work permit renewals and credentials.
8. Administers recruitment metrics, records maintenance and budget tracking.
a. Maintains systems and procedures to monitor recruitment activities.
b. Administers recruitment related surveys and questionnaires, and prepares reports for analysis.
c. Administers and processes advertising invoice payments and PO requisitions. Tracks budget expenses and reviews monthly budget reports.
9. Performs other duties as required.
a. Provides training for new staff, such as Banner training and operational policy and procedures.
b. Identifies, recommends, develops, and participates in the implementation of strategies to improve efficiency and effectiveness of processes related to recruitment and employee services.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
1. Post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree in Human Resources or a related area from a reputable post-secondary institution; combined with a minimum of two years’ work experience in a high volume unionized Human Resources environment that includes recruitment and working with benefits plans. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of fundamental human resources and benefits administration concepts.
3. Familiarity with workplace legislation (Workers’ Compensation Act, Employment Standards Act, Human Rights Code, Labour Relations Code).
4. Experience working in a high volume/fast-paced transactional and administrative work environment.
5. Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills. Effective verbal and written business communication and composition skills with excellent grammar, punctuation and usage.
6. Good working knowledge of current office practices and procedures with a proven ability to organize and coordinate workflow and prepare general office correspondence and reports.
7. Strong organizational skills and flexibility to manage changing priorities on short notice.
8. Experience and comfort working in a high volume/fast-paced transactional and administrative work environment.
9. Demonstrated knowledge of computerized human resource information systems (HRIS). Experience working with Banner is an asset.
10. A demonstrated ability to:
- Work effectively in an environment where professionalism, a high degree of confidentiality and sensitivity are of primary importance.
- Communicate courteously and effectively in writing, in person or on the telephone with staff, faculty, administrators, students, benefit carriers, and other external agencies.
- Build and maintain good working relationships.
- Work independently with minimum of supervision.
- Establish priorities and achieve deadlines including the ability to multi-task
- Keyboard 50 wpm and enter data accurately at an intermediate level.
- Intermediate proficiency with MS Office Suite, particularly Word and Excel, with the ability to create spreadsheets, merge documents, create and manage a database, and utilize the internet and web applications effectively.
- Learn and work with new software programs.
- Be empathetic to the needs of employees and accepting of cultural diversity.
- Work effectively both independently and as part of a team, including exercising initiative in offering assistance to colleagues, working collaboratively to share tasks and responsibilities and dealing effectively with interpersonal conflict.