Staff - Non Union
M&P - AAPS
Manager, Business Development
Business Development | Business Career Centre | UBC Sauder School of Business
$6,546 - $10,229 CAD Monthly
Posting End Date:
December 7, 2020.
Job End Date:
Responsible for creating and developing an employer relationship infrastructure involving influential members of local, national and international business communities, that is designed to secure deep and long term engagement with multiple divisions of the UBC Sauder School of Business and UBC as a whole, and deliver significant value in the form of brand enhancement, recruitment engagement. and revenue generation for services when required Primary responsibilities are to identify short term internship, COOP and summer opportunities and full time employment opportunities for UBC Sauder students and early career alumni.. Secondary responsibilities include representing employer feedback to the BCC colleagues, faculty on how programming and event development can build student talent pipeline for emerging job market opportunities.
Reports to the Associate Director, Business Development.
This is an external facing position engaging with local, national and international employers and industry association representatives ranging from senior level executives (CEO, SVP, VP) to hiring managers to human resources staff. Field based sales is critical component of the role in both the local, national and international markets. Regular travel to key markets outside of BC eg. Toronto, Calgary, New York, is required.
Within the Business Career Centre, this position works closely with other Business Development Managers and interfaces with Business Career Center staff, including the Assistant Dean, Associate Directors, Career Managers, Program Managers and support staff. Within the UBC Sauder School of Business, this position interacts with the BD teams of multiple divisions including: the Development and Alumni Engagement office, the Business Family Centre and Executive Education. Within UBC, this position interacts with UBC Central Career Services and other faculty Co-op teams.
Business Development and External Relations:
- Conducts market analysis for priority industries within portfolio: identify trends and growth opportunities in multiple geographic regions including competitive skills requirements.
- Maintains current industry and recruiting trend expertise by reading appropriate publications, internet research, thought leader relationships, networking events and attending conferences.
- Conducts industry portfolio account analysis of on-campus engagement, job posting and hiring data in order to meet and report on key performance indicators.
- Develops and executes annual business plan to drive recruitment engagement growth as measured by agreed key performance indicators for all programs including MBA, BCom, Co-op, MM, B+MM and MBAN students, and early career Alumni.
- Develops and executes Top and Strategic employer account plans; developing ongoing and new relationships with multiple business units through client needs assessment, face-to-face company meetings and integration of campus recruitment programs into their corporate recruitment strategy..
- Responds to inbound recruitment inquiries from industry portfolio in a timely fashion.
- Maintains ongoing visible presence in the local market through in person sales calls and execution of field sales campaigns as per the business plan in all markets.
- Travels as required to key markets outside of BC eg Toronto, Calgary, New York for in-person client meetings and accompanying visiting groups of students.
- Leads generation including personalized outreach initiatives such as cold calling, group presentations, email and business networking events, trade shows, career fairs, conferences and internet research.
- Maintains up to date employer CRM records including accurate and timely contact notes and alumni status.
- Manages key account participation in annual COOP, internship and new graduate recruitment cycles ("Fall and Winter recruit"). Must be available for evening events during Fall and Winter recruit.
- Tracks and reports on annual budget expenditure.
- Contributes to development of sales process improvements, reports and systems implementation when required.
- Supervises students or administrative assistant as required in the areas of employer marketing, business analytics, data management, and platform and systems implementation.
- Creates networking and recruiting connections for students through 1-1 introductions, employer participation in program specific recruiting events eg MBA breakfast, MM exchange, BCOM fall & spring networking events, company visits/tours.
- Identifies and facilitates employer introductions to support relationship building and revenue generating opportunities for other Sauder divisions including Exec Ed, the Development and Alumni Engagement Office, the Business Family Centre and UBC Central Career Services.
- Supports the development and execution of employer surveys in support of fine tuning BCC strategies and initiatives.
- Funnels employer feedback on competitive skill requirements, to UBC Sauder curriculum program designers, with a goal of influencing the curriculum that makes our students highly competitive in the marketplace.
- Represents the high quality UBC Sauder brand through professional and valuable day-to-day, on the ground interaction with employer organizations.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
This position represents the UBC Sauder School of Business, the students and the University. Incorrect decisions/ judgement will directly affect the UBC Sauder School of Business and UBC's reputation with the employer community and future alumni of the faculty. Incorrect decisions would have impact on the employment of students, the operations of the programs, and the reputation of the Faculty and the University.
The Manager, Business Development works independently under general guidance from the Associate Director, Business Development. Participates in setting annual business development objectives and strategies and quarterly goals and tactics with other members of the Business Development team well as other Business Career Centre Managers.
Delegates and reviews the work of Sales & Marketing Coordinator, or Co-op student as required. Hires and manages contract work performed by outside suppliers such as market research firms.
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. MBA preferred or equivalent work experience. Minimum of six years experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in sales/business development required.
Familiarity with indicated industry portfolio an asset.
A valid BC driver license and regular access to a vehicle is essential.
Excellent interpersonal, communication, research and business development/relationship building skills with a particular focus on initiating and expanding the value delivered from key client relationships. Effective organizational, supervisory and presentation skills required. Experience and comfort with cold calling required. Familiarity with a university or similar environment an asset. Computer skills required (Word for Windows, Excel, PowerPoint, email (Outlook), Internet research; working knowledge/experience of databases/CRM preferred).