The Landfill Technician will report to the Landfill Manager
The Landfill Technician will operate and maintain the landfill gas recovery system infrastructure at the Cache Creek Landfill. They will acquire, record, and analyze data to evaluate the performance of the system and will participate in day-to-day operations concerning the post closure care of the landfill. They will provide relief duties and assistance for plant operators.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Conduct landfill gas field sampling using portable instrumentation at monitoring points such as gas recovery wells and probes.
- Adjust gas wells to maximize gas collection and minimize fugitive emissions.
- Maintain a gas collection field log as well as a database of gas collection information.
- Analyze and interpret field data, prepare technical reports as directed.
- Perform and document regular landfill inspections and advise supervisor of all conditions that may impact operations.
- Perform repairs/modifications to gas collection infrastructure (i.e. gas wells, collection lines, condensate traps, off-site probes, leachate collection systems, vaults, and associated equipment as necessary).
- Operate, calibrate, and maintain testing equipment.
- Coordinate with and supervise contractors onsite; provide assistance as required.
- Provide occasional vacation relief for Gas Plant and Water Treatment Plant operators.
- Assist Landfill Operations lead hand with landfill field repairs.
- Assist the Gas Plant and Water Treatment Plant lead hands with repairs and maintenance if required.
- Perform quality work in a safe and careful manner.
- Able to work both independently with minimal supervision, as well as a contributing member of a team.
- Able to organize work and communicate clear instructions.
- A technologist diploma in applied science is desirable.
- A background in environmental sciences and/or chemistry is desirable.
- Has experience or demonstrates a high degree of aptitude in using field test equipment.
- Has experience or demonstrates a high degree of aptitude in analytical problem solving.
- Has experience or demonstrates a high degree of aptitude in mechanical work.
- Has experience with using hand tools.
- Has the ability to read and interpret operating manuals and schematics.
- Has the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Has proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word programs.
- Construction/mechanical experience an asset (mechanical, plumbing, piping, electrical).
- Experience with heavy equipment operation an asset.
- HDPE Fusion certification
- H2S Awareness
- Confined Space Training
- Must hold a valid BC Driver’s License.
- Must be able to safely operate a motor vehicle on off-road conditions.
- Must be in good physical health.
- Must be able to do strenuous work outdoors under various climatic conditions (all seasons).
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday