We are looking for a nurse who is passionate about harm reduction to apply for the position of Nurse Manager – Injectable Opioid Agonist Therapy (iOAT).
iOAT is an evidence based program within the spectrum of treatment options for opioid use disorder (OUD). This program is run in partnership with Island Health and is embedded within a supportive housing project. iOAT provides injectable hydromorphone for clients with OUD who have not benefited from other treatment options. The overall goal of this program is to improve the health of the people involved by reducing risk of overdose and other health and social harms associated with injection drug use and to improve retention in treatment compared to oral options.
About PHS Health Care:
Our nurses work to the full scope of their practice in primary care clinics that are imbedded within our two housing projects in Victoria, BC. Our care is deeply rooted in principles of social justice - PHS Community Services Society provides housing for individuals who are poorly served elsewhere in the community due to their physical health, mental health, substance use, forensic history, and for those who are homeless. Johnson Street Community (JSC) is a 147-bed supportive housing project and is also home to a Supervised Consumption Service (SCS) and injectable Opiate Agonist Therapy (iOAT) program. There is a physician on site Monday-Thursday. Our second site is the Douglas Street Community (DSC) which includes 25 transitional housing units, 22 Supportive Recovery Program units, and a 50-bed low-barrier shelter. There is a physician on site Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Sundays. Our nurses work closely with a team of supportive physicians, mental health workers, medical office assistant, housing managers, and other interdisciplinary team members.
Core responsibilities of the iOAT Nurse Manager:
The iOAT Nurse Manager is accountable for the delivery of iOAT client services, including:
· leadership for the nursing staff
· reporting deliverables to Island Health
· liaisons with Island Health management and pharmacy team
· works professionally with internal and external interdisciplinary team members to ensure wrap-around care for iOAT clients
· conducts quality improvement initiatives and seeks feedback from clients, team members, and partners.
· Current registration as a Registered Nurse with the BCCNP
· Minimum of 5 years experience working with innercity populations, including 2 years of recent OAT nursing experience providing initiation and maintenance as well as primary care- and addictions-related screening, assessment, and treatment services to innercity populations
· Advanced computer literacy – EMR, database, excel.
· Comprehensive knowledge of issues surrounding innercity populations (concurrent disorders in the context of multiple medical cormorbidity) including current trends and best practice of modalities of treatment
· Demonstrated leadership qualities, including ability to model and foster a positive, collaborative, and respectful team environment
Job Type: Full-time