Part Time Youth Worker
Group Homes, Calgary
Are you someone who is passionate about making a difference in the lives of children, youth and families? Are you a supportive, open-minded and calm youth work professional? Would you enjoy collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team? Then Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is the place for you!
Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is a leading provider of quality programs to children and youth, with a $20 million dollar operating budget, that supports the healthy physical, educational and social development for 20,000 young people and their families each year.
BGCC has three group homes for youth between the ages of 13 and 17 years which are located in residential communities across the city. Programming is based on a trauma sensitive, attachment-based approach. All referrals are made through Calgary Region Child and Family Services.
As a Part Time Youth Worker, a typical day might include:
- The primary goal is youth safety with a strong focus on family reunification whenever possible and improving the outcomes for youth and their families.
- Ensuring that the youth’s basic needs have been met with a focus on fostering personal growth and development.
- Recognizes the importance of family and other youth identified supports and strengthening those relationships through supervised activities.
- Supports the youth in culturally appropriate formal and informal supports within their community.
- Must be creative and flexible when meeting the needs of the youth, the families served, and the program.
- Implements routines and activities to provide a safe and secure milieu, and is expected to participate in weekly arts and recreational activities with the youth.
- Assists children/youth in developing and practicing problem solving, conflict resolution and communication skills.
- Supports youth in employment and education, and/or helping youth to maintain or improve their grade level.
- Ensures that all documentation regarding the youth is completed on their current shift so the information regarding the youth is conveyed to the entire team in a timely manner.
- Manages crisis situations effectively using problem solving and de-escalation skills.
- Must be available to work two (2) eight (8) hour awake overnight shifts per month.
- Fun and energetic work environment filled with creative, compassionate, open minded people.
- A fantastic total compensation package (minimum number of shifts required to qualify).
- Great support for work-life balance and flexibility in the workplace.
- The opportunity to professionally develop your skills and coach others.
- The opportunity to work in an agency that has incredible impact in communities in Calgary and surrounding area.
- BGCC is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- A degree or diploma in Human Services field (Child & Youth Care, Social Work, Justice Studies, etc) or currently enrolled, or have 2 years’ experience working with at-risk youth
- Current Standard First Aid/CPR certification
- Cleared driver’s abstract and liability insurance
- Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector search and a Intervention Record Check* *If the checks are older than 6 months, successful applicants will begin this process during new hire paperwork.
Have we enticed you enough to want to become a Part-Time Youth Worker with BGCC Group Homes? Why not apply?! Submit your cover letter and resume now!