Acting, Assignment, Deployment, Indeterminate, Secondment, Specified period
FI-01 $59,211 to $83,062 / FI-02 $72,074 to $97,774
For further information on the organization, please visit Statistics Canada
Closing date: 1 March 2024 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada, and Canadian citizens and Permanent residents abroad.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Selection may be limited to members of the following Employment Equity groups: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and women.
Statistics Canada is committed to hiring and promoting a skilled and diversified workforce representative of the population it serves. In order to achieve this representative workforce, preference will be given to candidates who, at the time of application, indicate that they are belonging to one of the following Employment Equity groups (self declaration): Indigenous peoples, Women, Visible Minorities and Persons with Disabilities.
At Statistics Canada we recognize that a diverse and inclusive workplace that can harness the diverse backgrounds, talents and perspectives of its employees is essential to building a better, more productive and more innovative Canada. Statistics Canada promotes the advantages of diversity and inclusion in the federal government and offers interesting career opportunities and rewarding challenges for everyone.
How does applying to an inventory work?
Referrals from this inventory are expected to occur throughout and after the advertisement period. Only candidates that are referred to hiring managers will be further assessed.
How to apply
We want to attract top talent; therefore, we are focusing solely on the abilities and personal suitability. We have also simplified the application process.
To apply for this process, the following is required:
1. Screening questionnaire: A summary of past experience—including the situation, action and result—must be included in your responses to the screening questionnaire.
2. Reference checks: The names of two (2) supervisors and one (1) client.
3. You may be asked to participate in a simulation exercise that evaluates your ability to assess financial data.
- A variety of tools and methods may be used to assess candidates, including, but not limited to, written tests, interviews and/or reference checks.
- Any information candidates provide may be used to assess them.
**Applications from this inventory will be considered and assessed at regular intervals.
Please note that we will be assessing our next group of candidates from the inventory starting May 1st, 2022. Make sure to apply or update your application if needed before then.
Are you looking for a new challenge in an organization that encourages innovation and new ideas? If so, then Statistics Canada is the place to be! We are looking for energetic candidates who are eager to learn and grow in our agency.
Why join Statistics Canada? Statistics Canada was named one of the National Capital Region’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young Professionals. Employees are proud to work at Statistics Canada—a reputable statistical agency recognized worldwide for providing high-quality data and information to Canadians.
Why join Statistics Canada’s Finance Planning and Procurement Branch? The Finance Planning and Procurement Branch embraces a dynamic team environment where collaboration is promoted, assignments are encouraged and staff opinions matter. Join us as we embark on an amazing analytics journey and experiment with new technologies and methodologies. Our management team will support you in implementing new ideas while you build your exciting career at Statistics Canada.
During the pandemic, employees may be required to work exclusively from home. However, telework will continue to be part of a flexible work arrangement that may be available to you. It is important that candidates have a reliable internet access.
This inventory may be used to staff permanent positions and acting, assignment, secondment and deployment opportunities with various language requirements, security profiles and conditions of employment within the Finance Planning and Procurement Branch. Because of the potential use of the selection process and subsequent pool, we encourage all employees seeking this type of opportunity to apply.
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
A bachelor’s degree from a recognized postsecondary institution with specialization in accounting, finance, business administration, commerce or economics.
A bachelor’s degree from a recognized postsecondary institution with specialization in accounting, finance, business administration, commerce or economics AND experience related to positions in the Financial Management Group.*
- The experience required must be related to financial management and relevant to the FI position being staffed. This experience can be acquired in the public service or through other means (e.g., private sector, volunteer work, self-employment or any other relevant experience deemed to be relevant by the hiring manager).
EXP-1: *Extensive experience in at least one (1) of the following areas:
a. Financial operations (accounting operations, revenue management)
b. Internal controls (fraud risk management, quality assurance, monitoring, financial policy)
c. Planning and resource management
e. Financial management advisory services
f. Internal or external audit
g. Financial systems
h. Internal or External reporting
i. Business Planning (designing and maintaining the Departmental Strategic Direction Framework, support the Organization in setting strategy, aligning investments, monitoring strategy performance)
j. Business transformation (process optimization, analytics implementation)
k. Project Management (supports the organizational project-and portfolio-management functions, such as project management, project oversight, reporting capabilities and supporting the Investment Plan)
l. Results measurement and reporting (designing and maintaining the Departmental Results Framework and providing support, tools, training and guidance for the creation of corporate key indicators and management of divisional Performance Information Profiles)
m. Risk management (designing and maintaining the Integrated Risk Management Framework and providing support, tools, training and guidance for the assessment of corporate and divisional risks)
EXP-2: Experience in providing financial guidance and recommendations to management or clients.
EXP-3: Experience in extracting, analyzing and reporting on financial information.
- Extensive experience refers to the depth and breadth of experience generally acquired during two (2) or more financial cycles, for a combined total of 24 months, which aligns to the FI Recruitment and Development Program and the Financial Officer Recruitment and Development (FORD) Program.
1. Eligibility for or membership in good standing in a professional accounting designation (CPA).
2. Post-secondary studies in project management
1. Experience in using, modifying and manipulating data using Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Access at an advanced level (using Visual Basic for Applications, creating macros and using complex formulas)
2. Experience in using Microsoft Power BI or other business intelligence or data analytics tools
3. Experience in writing briefing material used in strategic decision making by management
4. Experience in managing projects involving a broad range of stakeholders.
5. Experience managing complex internal and external governance processes.
6. Experience managing organizational risk management processes and applying risk management standards.
7. Experience managing compliance and/or verification activities.
Various language requirements
- Bilingual imperative BBB/BBB, CBC/CBC
- English or French essential
Information on language requirements
Ability to view issues with a strategic lens.
- Ability to collaborate with partners and contributors.
- Ability to adapt to change and maintain productivity.
- Ability to deliver on results.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Demonstrating integrity and respect
- Thinking things through
- Working effectively with others
- Showing initiative and being action-oriented
Willingness to work overtime.
Reliability Status security clearance
Reliability Status security clearance - All employees of the core public administration are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to their vaccination status unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground for discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
On October 6, 2021, the Government of Canada announced details of its plans to require vaccination across the federal public service.
As per the new Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination for the Core Public Administration Including the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, federal public servants in the Core Public Administration and members of the RCMP must attest to their vaccination status. The requirement for employees to be fully vaccinated applies whether they are teleworking, working remotely or working on-site. This is a condition of employment and it applies to indeterminate (permanent), determinate (term), casual, and student hiring. Should you reach the point in the selection process where it is necessary to verify terms and conditions of employment then the hiring manager or a human resources representative will contact you in order to complete an attestation.
Preference will be given to veterans first and then to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.