The Pet Cancer Fund is a Vancouver-based organization whose mission is to increase the life expectancy and improve the quality of life of pets diagnosed with cancer.
Estimates suggest the number of dogs and cats developing cancer every year is 12 million; roughly 6x the number of humans getting cancer yearly within North America.
As we set out to create an array of information resources intended to improve the outcome of pets diagnosed with cancer we need the assistance of experienced Information Technology professionals.
That’s where and how you can help us.
We are looking for a volunteer Systems Administrator who is eager to use and grow his or her technological skills for an organization setting out to be a world leader. In this role, the successful individual will protect our critical information, systems, and assets, build solutions, implement new software, provide training, and assist in the development of an overall IT strategy. From early on, you’ll help empower our breakthrough innovations, be given challenging assignments, lead initiatives, and take ownership and responsibility. Our ideal candidate will be passionate about applying their skills to technology-based business model that creates real-world solutions for the Foundation.
- Provide vision and strategy to ensure that the platform is equipped to keep pace with the modern technologies and techniques
- Providing ongoing assessment, analysis and continuous improvement to the technological tools to elevate program effectiveness and efficiencies towards user goals
- Day-to-day activities include working with user teams to train and supporting the use of technological environment
- Maintain essential IT operations, including communication and collaborations tools, applications, email systems and software
- Install and configure software
- Create and maintain technical and process documentation
- Set up accounts in the different tools and systems used by the Foundation
- Upgrade systems with new releases and models.
- Perform cloud administration tasks, including user/group administration, security permissions, group policies and resource monitoring, ensuring system architecture components work together seamlessly
- Interact with the help desk and other teams to assist in troubleshooting, identify root cause, and provide technical support when needed
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in technology or computer science.
- Proven work experience in IT.
- Experience with or knowledge of programming languages and operating systems; current equipment and technologies, enterprise backup and recovery procedures, system performance-monitoring tools, communication and collaboration tolls (Slack, Jira, Trello and others).
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience working in a research environment that relies extensively on Open Source solutions.
- Confidence in proposing new ideas, using analytical skills, presenting to key stakeholders and receiving feedback is important.
- Experience in project management, application design and integration, and cloud computing.
You have 3-5 years of experience in similar roles and have the highest of standards, taking great pride in your work. Further, you are extremely detail-oriented and proud of being a perfectionist when it comes to your projects.
We hope to find that special person that not only loves animals, but one that recognizes how important their gift of talent/experience and their service will make to the many pet owners and families just wanting another good day with their beloved pet.
- This position can be done virtually from anywhere in Canada or the United States
- Expectations regarding a time commitment are in the range of 8-10 hours per week on average
- This is a volunteer position that could potentially lead into other roles within the organization
- We’d like this position to be filled and start as soon as we find the right candidate for the role
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $0.00 per year
- system administration: 3 years (Preferred)