“What would need to be true to eliminate poverty in our community?” If you are the kind of person driven beyond ‘simply doing good work’ and are passionate about having a measured impact, this might be the space for you!
At 109 years young, our organization continues to push for innovative solutions that produce real outcomes toward the elimination of poverty. Bissell Centre is seeking a highly collaborative professional who is able to engage in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
The successful candidate will be familiar with client centred support services, economic and asset based community development and trauma informed practice. The candidate will be confident in offering services within the framework of our Key Practice Philosophies.
This is a Permanent, Full-time position and reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
Key Responsibilities for the Chief Programs Officer Include:
Strategy and Planning
- Implement Bissell Centre’s strategic plan on a day to day basis
- Work with program teams to implement the business and work plans which support the strategic plan
- Oversee existing programs and work to develop new program and service initiatives
- Work with colleagues to facilitate innovative organizational change initiatives and continual process, program and infrastructure improvements
- Seek to involve the broader community to develop solutions
- In collaboration with the CEO, support Bissell Centre to become a more effective leader in the social impact sector
Organization and Culture Development
- Strive to maintain an environment of collaboration and engagement with key stakeholders including; the board of governors, executive team, directors, managers and line staff
- Provide clear, timely and ongoing communication to all stakeholders
- Ensure a safe, transparent and equitable working environment for staff
Program Delivery, Development and Management
- Provide executive oversight and guidance to our programs and services
- In conjunction with the executive team and program directors, research, propose and implement innovative programs and services aimed at addressing the needs of those impacted by poverty
- Ensure that Bissell Centre programs and services align with the Mission, Values and Long Term Outcomes of the agency
- Working with the executive team and program directors, continually evaluate KPI’s and key program outcomes, recommend improvements and implement adjustments to enhance the effectiveness of Bissell Centre programs and services
- Facilitate continued inter-department coordination and collaboration in order to maximize program outcomes
- Encourage the ongoing development of a high performing team of program directors, managers and line staff
- Work with the executive, management and staff to implement and ensure appropriate policies, procedures and safe work practices are in place for the effective operation of Bissell Centre
- Model the values of Bissell Centre and communicate these principles in a clear and compelling fashion both internally and externally
- Oversee Analysis and Evaluation projects and programs along with external research partners to identify opportunities of advocacy within the sector
- Work with the executive team to support the development of timely financial modelling, evaluate financial performance and monitor the social return on investment in order to nimbly respond to program needs
- Provide executive level oversight of program expenditures
- Provide executive oversite in the development and implementation of annual program budgets
- Develop strategies for increasing the financial stability and sustainability of programs and services
- Oversee the submission of all monthly, quarterly and annual program reports, outputs, KPI’s, program highlights, success stories and quality improvement initiatives
- Ensure the reporting and communication needs of all funders are being met on a timely basis
- Facilitate management meetings and attend lead team meetings to address organizational issues and collaborate on initiatives
- Meet with external stakeholders and represent Bissell Centre in a professional manner
- Assist with fund development activities as appropriate
Education, Skills and Abilities
- A graduate degree in a relevant field or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a similar role
- Individuals who have demonstrated experience working with marginalized populations will be given preference for this opportunity
- An in-depth knowledge and understanding of Indigenous Peoples, culture and history is a significant asset
- Experience with the conception, design and build of community based economic development projects coupled with socially minded business practices is desirable
- Demonstrated competency in business development is a considerable asset
- Familiarity with issues of poverty, knowledge of Edmonton’s urban core and knowledge of relevant community and government resources is required for the position
Bissell Centre offers industry leading benefits package which includes; life insurance, health, medical and dental coverage, health maintenance days and vacation.
If you are passionate about making a difference, please submit your application via the Bissell Centre website at www.bissellcentre.org or email hrcareers (at) bissellcentre. org.
The deadline for applications is end of day February 17th, 2020.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent