Who We Are:
Wesley is a long-standing local non-profit, offering support for people experiencing poverty, homelessness, and barriers in the community, and is ranked one of Canada's Best Charities 2020: The Top 100.
We provide programs and services to meet diverse community needs in Hamilton as well as Halton Region and Brantford – Brant. We are seeking candidates who demonstrate our values of compassion, accountability, respect and excellence; to our clients, families and each other.
External Job Posting
Job Title: Registered Nurse Job Posting #: 3070
Program: Special Care Unit Classification: b
Posting Date: May 08, 2020 Posting Closing: May 22, 2020
Status: part-time, permanent, non union
Note: Hours will be 8am - 11am Monday-Friday
Location: Special Care Unit and mobile in the community.
Purpose: To provide registered nursing support within a primary health care setting employing harm reduction principles.
1. Welcome and interact with those accessing the program and be available and approachable.
2. Provide nursing care to clients of the Special Care Unit and direction and oversight of the Unregulated Care Providers in the program.
3. Implementation and Evaluation of Health Care Plans.
4. Able to clearly articulate and demonstrate knowledge of the role of the nurse in a evidence based harm reduction environment.
5. Able to clearly articulate and demonstrate role of the nurse in working with both unregulated and regulated health providers as well as social service staff and Medical Director to provide direct care.
6. Able to effectively communicate verbally and in writing nursing care needs.
7. Documents and communicates nursing assessment including client intakes including advance directives and client issues documentation and nursing care daily for all clients.
8. Administers medications including controlled substances.
9. Supervises care given by RPN's and nursing students, provides instruction and direction to RPN staff and nursing students and identifies and provides ongoing training.
10. Follows up on care provided including laboratory tests, medication administration, hygiene, nutrition etc.
11. Generates comprehensive nursing care plans according to College of Nurses of Ontario Standards of Practice.
12. Works with clients, RPN and UCP to identify care needs, to establish, implement and continually evaluate nursing plans of care.
13. Integrates research and current literature into practice.
14. Uses principles of continuous quality improvement and assist others to use them to improve work processes.
15. Collaborates with health team and social service team in the delivery of client's nursing care plan, including responding and documenting referrals, arranging appointments in the community, lab studies, communication with pharmacy, CCAC, etc.
16. Communicates effectively with other team members to ensure optimal health care provision to clients.
17. Ensures smooth operation of the unit, including ordering medical supplies, immunizations, and medications.
18. Able to work autonomously and demonstrate effective decision making in emergent and non-emergent situations as they pertain to client care.
19. Consults with Program physician as required regarding client health care issues.
20. Is available for evening and weekend on-call as required.
21. Maintenance of files, statistics and other information that may be required.
22. Gather and participate in the collection and documentation of statistical data.
23. Provide outreach services to referred clients.
24. Provide community education regarding program and harm reduction.
25. Work collaboratively as a part of the Wesley Urban Ministries team.
26. Attend team meetings and other meetings as required.
27. Participate in professional development activities as required.
28. Participate in regular supervision meetings with Program Manager.
29. Maintain confidentiality and privacy.
30. Follow agency and program policies and procedures.
31. Assist or fill in for other team members as required.
32. Other duties as assigned.
1. Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in nursing.
2. College of Nurses of Ontario certificate of competence.
3. Several years nursing experience, preferably in an urban core setting, and/or in the continuum of addictions treatment including harm reduction, and/or concurrent disorders, mental health fields would be an asset.
4. Ability to work as part of a team but also to take initiative and work independently to achieve required results.
5. Excellent Communications skills.
6. Ability to work on computer based programs, specifically the use of electronic medical records.
7. Recognize and respect the effects of cultural, ethnic and linguistic differences on health care.
8. Experience working in an interdisciplinary team environment.
9. Must have good written and verbal communication skills, be detail oriented and be accurate when evaluating health care situations.
10. Nonviolent crisis intervention training.
11. Knowledgeable of community services, programs and health care agencies.
1. Builds constructive relationships characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation and mutual respect
2. Helps to create and contributes to a work environment that embraces and appreciates diversity
3. Values and respects the internal and external customers to the organization
1. Takes personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of their work, and team work
2. Believes, respects and adheres to the vision, mission and values of Wesley Urban Ministries
1. Demonstrates an understanding of Wesley's, Vision and Values through service delivery approach
2. Acts with integrity
3. Demonstrates a knowledge of the code of ethics of working in social services
4. Adapts to changing program requirements, conditions and work responsibilities
Please Apply Via: Our Wesley Breezy Portal:
1. Click on this link: https://wesley.breezy.hr/
2. From there you can access all of Wesley's job postings
Wesley is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from all qualified applicants. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. More information about Wesley can be found on our website at www.wesley.ca (http://www.wesley.ca/).