Calling all green thumbs! The Groundskeeper is a full-time position supporting the overall upkeep and maintenance of the family’s properties within Calgary and Priddis. This individual must be able to handle and maintain power tools of the trade. Shovelling and maintaining the driveway and walkways of principal residence during and after every snowfall is a key element of the role. The individual will be responsible for the completion of minor maintenance projects at the properties and they will schedule and supervise contractors and service providers who are dispatched to the properties.
- Complete fall cleanup of the relevant properties prior to the first snowfall
- Shovel and maintain driveway and walkways of principal residence during and after every snowfall
- Ensure snow is removed from driveways and sidewalks prior to 7:30am during the week and weekends
- Winterize plants and gardens
- Holiday Lights/Décor (done in conjunction with the team)
- Install lights on house, trees, patio, gazebo; organize, label & store
- Unpack/pack, organize & label indoor décor
- Complete spring cleanup of the relevant properties in preparation for planting (annual planting of beds and containers completed by third party)
- Maintain grounds and complete landscaping on regular schedule
- Locate and plant shrubs, trees as directed by property owner
- Trim shrubs and trees
- Maintain lawns using seed mixtures and fertilizers recommended for particular soil type and lawn location
- Mow and trim lawns using power mower and edge trimmer
- Ensure all lawns and flower beds are weed free
- Monitor sprinkler systems and report any system irregularities/water deficiencies
- Coordinate and oversee third-party service providers to perform any approved work as part of the grounds maintenance
- Maintain all tools and power-operated equipment. Conduct minor repairs if necessary or bring to shop for repair.
- Haul debris to local dump site as required
- Maintain spreadsheets for equipment inventory
- Maintain expense reports, appliance & equipment information/maintenance schedules
Knowledge and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
- Valid Class 5 Drivers license and drivers abstract are required
- Minimum of five years’ experience working in groundskeeping or [private family] property management
- Must be able to handle and maintain power tools of the trade including mowers, blowers, pressure washers and snow removal equipment.
- Physical stamina and mobility including ability to reach, kneel and bend; may be required to lift up to 50 lbs.; climb ladders and stairs
- Ability to work with little supervision and maintain a high level of performance
- Ability to work with a team to execute on projects and support other activities as needed
- Command of the English language including written, oral, and language comprehension is necessary
- Experience working for a private family is a must. The ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality is a non-negotiable.
This position is not defined by a regular work week. Flexibility is required during the winter season with the expectation that the employee will work early mornings and weekends during the snow removal season.
Note: A Police background check will be required.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- groundskeeping or private family property management: 5 years (Required)
- Secondary School (Preferred)