Western Forest Products has an opportunity for a Payroll Specialist based our of our Nanaimo office. The Payroll Specialist is responsible for processing payrolls in both a salaried and unionized environment. The Payroll Specialist will be part of a team delivering outstanding payroll services to over 2,000 employees on a bi-weekly and semi-monthly basis while adhering to company policies, employment law, and other requirements under our various collective agreements.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Preparation and production of assigned payrolls including providing notice for funding requirements;
- Maintaining employee data in ADP Work Force Now and Time & Attendance portals in accordance with company policy and with due regard to confidentiality;
- Processing new hires, transfers, terminations, changes in salary, allowances and benefits;
- As required, processing lump sum and special payments separate from the regular payroll runs and calculating manual pay adjustments required for partial period payments including retro-active pay;
- Preparing documentation such as records of employment (ROE’s);
- Benefits administration including maintenance, documentation and calculation of employee taxable benefits;
- Long term disability, pension and union reporting requirements;
- Processing garnishee orders and requirements to pay;
- Preparation and distribution of payables and journal voucher data for payroll and benefits;
- Periodic reconciliation of payroll, g/l and benefit data;
- Year-end processes related to payroll and T4 preparation, PIER reports, and reconciling CRA business accounts;
- Provides payroll information for budgeting purposes, collective bargaining and cost benefit analysis and assists in the co-ordination of special projects;
- Responds to ad hoc information and reporting requests from retirees, the business, HR & Labour Relations departments;
- Responds to queries from employees concerning payroll calculations and verification of income as well as queries from outside agencies;
- Contributes to the development and implementation of departmental plans, goals and objectives; and Keeps current with respect to legislative and legal requirements, changes to our collective agreements, and technological changes as they impact on payroll.
WHO YOU ARE
Education and Experience
- At least 2 years’ experience as a payroll specialist is preferred;
- Experience with hourly, unionized and salaried payrolls;
- Completion of or currently enrolled in PCP program;
- Experience with payroll software, preferably ADP; and
- Familiarity with benefits administration and collective agreements.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Able to handle confidential information;
- High level or accuracy and an outstanding attention to detail;
- Ability to prioritize and manage deadlines;
- Proficiency with Microsoft word, excel, and outlook;
- Working knowledge of payroll best practices; and
- Working knowledge of Federal and provincial requirements including WCB, MSP, EHT, etc.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
We value our employees and offer a comprehensive total rewards package, which includes competitive compensation with a pay-for-performance philosophy, employer-paid benefits, pension and other programs designed to support our employees and meet their needs. If you invest your time and talents in our company, we will invest in you.
We strive to support our people in reaching their full potential. We provide a variety of on-the-job training and continuing education in many areas at Western to ensure you have the skills you need to succeed. Our promote-from-within culture recognizes high performance, and we offer diverse career paths across the organization for those with the talent and will to advance.
ABOUT WESTERN FOREST PRODUCTS
Western Forest Products is a Canadian forest products company that sustainably manages forests and manufactures high-quality wood products. We are committed to providing the most sustainable building products on the planet. With operations in the coastal region of British Columbia and Washington State, Western Forest Products meets the needs of customers worldwide with a specialty wood products focus and diverse product offering sourced from our secure access to a variety of coastal BC tree species. Our progressive approach to safe and sustainable forestry practices and large investment in manufacturing ensures the health and prosperity of our forests, communities and business for generations to come.
We provide equal opportunity in recruitment, career development, promotion, training and rewards for all employees. For more information about our company and culture please visit our website westernforest.com.