Job Title: MAP Van Driver / Support Worker
For more than thirty years, WISH has provided a safe place of respite for women involved in street-based sex work. The women who access WISH services and programs are some of the most marginalized in Vancouver; experiencing extreme poverty, homelessness, social exclusion, violence, racism, discrimination and the relentless effects of current and past trauma.
The mission of WISH is to improve the health, safety and well-being of women who are involved in Vancouver’s street-based sex trade. Through a variety of responsive programs and services, women can meet basic needs (hot meals, showers, clothing, nursing care, and personal items), receive individualized wrap-around support and services, referrals and resource information, and find a non-judgmental community to participate in programs that engage their spirits, hearts and minds.
**WISH Drop-in Centre Society is a self-identified women-only space**
Reporting to the MAP Manager, MAP Drivers and Support Workers provide mobile outreach services and supports, throughout Vancouver, to cis and trans women engaged in street-based sex work. They are also responsible for the care and control of the WISH MAP Van while on shift. MAP Drivers and Support Workers work, as a team, in a fast-paced environment, to provide a safe and respectful environment to best engage sex workers.
All WISH employees abide by the guiding principles of WISH by ensuring that each participant is treated with acceptance, caring, dignity and respect, in a non-judgemental manner.
The MAP Van is an outreach van that travels throughout the City of Vancouver every night from 10pm to 6am, every single night of the year.
- Ensure MAP services and resources can be equitably accessed by women in Vancouver’s street-based sex trade in a fair and non-judgemental way.
- Provide targeted safety and support by building healthy relationships with all participants
- Provide basic needs, services, and supports to street-based sex workers through information and referral, first aid supplies, harm reduction supplies, sex work supplies, clothing/toiletries/makeup donations, and snacks.
- Assist participants in determining their own needs and provide referrals to relevant services and programs, both within WISH and to external organizations and/or resources.
- Provide job-shadowing for new staff. Model appropriate behaviours as well as the mission, vision, and core values of WISH.
- Perform basic first aid duties, and respond to critical incidents, as needed and faced by participants.
- Prepare and stock the van, at the start of each shift, with all necessary materials, supplies, snacks and beverages.
- Ensure the van is driven in a safe and responsible manner that abides by the rules of the road, and does not interfere with sex workers’ ability to safely work or access services.
- Ensure the van’s interior is cleaned and re-organized at the end of each shift and is parked in appropriate and legal spots.
- Monitor the MAP phone by retrieving and responding to phone and text messages from participants. Communicate and coordinate with the rest of the team to respond to participants accordingly, including driving to her, and/or meeting with her to provide services and supports.
- Assist participants in completing Bad Date Reports.
- Assist participants in navigating police and other emergency services as needed.
- Accompany participants in crisis to the hospital via taxi, providing emotional support as needed.
- Provide appropriate support, and information and referrals.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the van.
- Complete accurate and consistent nightly statistics, stroll logs, and participant logs. Communicate the need for any further participant needs, supports or follow-up to the MAP manager.
- Track inventory of materials and supplies and conveying requirements to the MAP Manager.
- Maintain healthy, constructive working relationships with coworkers through teamwork, communication, collaborative decision-making, and debriefing to ensure exceptional service and to ensure safety of all team members.
- Work as a team, independent of onsite supervision from MAP Manager.
- Actively participate in staff meetings and communicate constructively with MAP Manager.
- Maintaining updated knowledge of relevant DTES and broader Vancouver resources, services, and service providers, as well as current knowledge of sex work legislation and policy issues.
- Other duties as required.
Education and Knowledge
- Certificate in a related human / social service field
- Possess an understanding of the needs and challenges of women involved in street level sex work in Vancouver.
- Knowledge and understanding of Indigenous peoples and the legacy of colonialization, the Residential school system, the 60’s Scoop, and lasting cyclical trauma.
- Knowledge of the Downtown Eastside and broader Vancouver community and its services as well as issues in Sex Work legislation and policy.
- Knowledge of useful resources for women working in the sex industry, particularly in the areas of housing, emergency medical care, detox and addictions services, and counseling.
- Knowledge of gender diversity and trans-inclusivity.
- A class 5 driver’s license with a clean driving abstract (for Driver position).
Training and Experience:
- 6 months working in front line social services in the Downtown Eastside or similar community.
Or an equivalent combination of education, training, experience, and lived experience.
- Maintain a commitment to providing a healthy and safe space for self-identified women (trans* inclusive) in the street-based sex industry.
- Maintain healthy workplace boundaries.
- Possess a demonstrated ability to support vulnerable women compassionately and non-judgmentally while maintaining strong personal boundaries.
- Possess strong collaboration and empathetic communication skills.
- Ability to respond to emergencies and proven experience in crisis de-escalation techniques.
- Hard-worker, self-starter and able to work as part of a team.
COMPENSATION & POSITION DETAILS:
- Rate of pay starts at $17/hour.
- Hours of work are 10pm-6am on a casual basis. Regular part-time positions are available after successful probationary period.
- This position is within the bargaining unit CUPE Local 1936 and therefore requires Union membership after hire.
- Excellent benefits package including employee insurance (medical, dental, life, accident and long term disability, MSP) following a three-month waiting period of consistently working at least 20 hours per week. This position does not require travel or the use of a vehicle.
- We offer a fast-paced, team-based culture in a location that is close to transit.
- WISH is a dynamic organization where opportunities for upward mobility are often presented.
Please submit a resume and cover letter Indicate “Application for MAP Van” in the subject line.
Only qualified applicants will be contact for an interview. Job posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
WISH strongly encourages mature individuals with lived experiences, who identify as Indigenous or as a visible minority, and who can strongly empathize with vulnerable women to apply. Experience in sex work and the sex industry is an asset.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $17.00 /hour
- Support Care: 1 year (Preferred)
- Vancouver, BC (Preferred)