LOCATION: Comox Valley Seniors Village
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Registered Nurse, and/or designate, the residential care aide performs routine functions involved in the provision of holistic quality resident care. Duties are performed in accordance with established policies and procedures and in a manner which respects the uniqueness, dignity, worth, need for self-respect and self-determination of the individual, all in ways which promote maximum personal and functional independence.
Include but not limited to:
- Provides holistic personal care to residents, ensuring that the residents’ activities of daily living needs are met as per policy and procedures and the resident’s Activities of Daily Living Plan (ADL) (e.g. personal hygiene, oral care, skin care, toileting, bathing, nail care, dressing and grooming).
- Observes and reports any changes in resident’s functional and cognitive behaviour to the Nurse.
- Transfers residents in/out of bed, to/from wheelchair, toilet and chair using one or two person transfers or mechanical lifts as per the residents care plan.
- Assists with the admission, transfer and discharge of residents.
- Under the direction of the Nurse assists with nursing care such as non-sterile dressings, enemas, suppositories, collection of specimens or skin care treatments.
- Ensures residents personal items are marked and handled and stored properly. Processes soiled personal clothing as per policy, procedures and care plan. Removes/changes soiled linens.
- Ensures that resident rights are maintained and respected, which includes confidentiality.
- Answers call bells promptly and responds appropriately to resident requests.
- Respects and attends to the emotional, psychosocial, spiritual and cultural beliefs & practices of the residents; encouraging and assisting residents to participate in social, physical, spiritual and recreational activities.
- Encourages and adheres to a holistic philosophy of wellness, recognizing that each individual is capable of, to varying degrees, making decisions about his/her life and is a partner in the decision-making.
- Actively participates in facility programs, meetings, committees and resident care conferences.
- Attends and participates in education programs aimed at increasing personal knowledge and abilities of the caregiver.
Food Preparation and Service:
- Provides residents with nutritional assistance (e.g. meals, nourishment and tray service, assists residents to eat as needed). Assists residents to and from dining areas in accordance with meal service schedules. Reports any appetite/fluid/food intake changes or concerns immediately to the nurse.
- Encourages resident participation in food service and clean up.
- Responsible for ordering supplies for Residents’ home environments through established methods.
- Involves the resident in organizing and maintaining their home environment, ensuring it is done according to the residents’ wishes and needs.
- Implements infection control measures and reports any shortages, breakage and malfunction of equipment.
- Maintains a clean, safe, homelike environment for residents and staff. Ensures care equipment and supplies are used and stored in safe and efficient manners.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Graduate from a recognized Care Aide Program.
- Previous experience in a long term care facility preferred.
- Food Safe Level 1 Certificate
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to read, write and speak English proficiently and understand verbal and written instructions.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact with the various individuals involved in providing holistic care in a flexible resident focused environment.
- Must be in good health, physically able to perform repetitive tasks, lift, squat, bend, stand and walk as required to perform the duties of the position.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary, Casual
Salary: $21.32-$22.94 per hour
- long term care: 1 year (Preferred)
- BC Care Aide Registration Number (Required)
- Care Aide (Required)
- Food Safe Level 1 (Required)